From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing CVI program that communicates with FPGA on development computer without FPGA

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a CVI program that needs to communicate with an FPGA. My current computer doesn't have the actual FPGA installed into it. I was wondering, can I do something like in LabVIEW where I can run a simulated FPGA and test the NiFpga API calls to that instead? Is that possible or do I need the actual FPGA to do this? I just want to make sure that the API calls I'm using are working properly, and it should help speed up testing.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,491 Views)

Are you using the C Interface for LabVIEW FPGA? Or are you only programming the host side and just need to interact with a FPGA to test the code? I just want to make sure I have a thorough understanding the situation at hand, because I am not sure if we can simulate a FPGA target in CVI like we can in a LabVIEW project.

dK
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,470 Views)

I am currently using the C Interface for LabVIEW FPGA in my CVI code to read data from an FPGA that will displayed on the host UI created in CVI, and then to send data from the user back to the FPGA. I need to be able to know that my code to read/write data to/from the FPGA is working properly.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,465 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author alikarim

I've been looking into it and it appears that there is no inherit way to simulate a FPGA target through LabWindows/CVI. We can easily simulate a target through the LabVIEW project explorer, but not through CVI.

dK
Message 4 of 5
(3,450 Views)

Okay, thanks for looking into this for me. It'd be a nice thing to have eventually.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,445 Views)