LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TDM C DLL calls work as exe, not as DLL (Error -6204)

Hello all,

I was hoping to get some help on creating a DLL (I am using VS2017 but hope people on here might be able to trace or help on the issue) using the TDM C DLL functions.

I had everything working fine but one day the function started returning error -6204 when finding groups, and now I cannot even call the DDCOpenFileEx function without receiving the error.  When compiled as an application, all works fine.  When I change the calls to dll and compile as a DLL it simply returns the error.  Attached is a simple test code trying to simply open and close a TDMS file but when I call from LabVIEW, I cannot get past the error.  

I think it might be how I set up the project but want to get some advice.  Attached is the sample code, I can also attach the VS2017 solution if people would like to check my settings as well.  If someone has time to confirm they can get it working, I would greatly appreciate it.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,157 Views)

Hi there,

You mentioned that everything was working fine and one day the function started returned error -6204.

What has changed between when it was working and now?

-Mitchell Faltin | NI

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,115 Views)

Thanks for the response Mitchell!

i am having trouble deducing that at the moment but I suspect it is something in my project settings maybe not linking the library correctly.  I am not extremely fluent in visual studio and I am afraid I changed a setting that I do not know about.  

I plan on on starting a fresh dll project and delinking the libraries to see where that gets me.  I was hoping someone might be able to do the same as to have a double check.

I will try and find the exact setting change but the code is the same as far as I can tell.

i will report back soon.  Thanks for taking the time to talk it through.  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,113 Views)

Is it LabVIEW that throws the error? Or Visual Studio?

To clarify, the end goal is to have a DLL that opens and reads a TDMS file that is invoked by LabVIEW..... correct?

Could you please provide the Visual Studio solution to see if we can't recreate the behavior on our end?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,100 Views)

Thanks for the help.  To update, I am making a seperate project to help address the first posters question and will work that tonight.

To address mfatlin:

1)  The error is coming from the DDC library:  -6204 an unecpected error occurred in the library.  The DLL compiles fine and I can run it with no errors in LabVIEW, but when the code is built as a DLL I get -6204, whereas when built as an exe all works well.

2)  Yes that is correct.  The c code ( I moved all files besides the test file into a folder called archive as to not clutter your review) will open the TDMS file created by LabVIEW in C and dump it to another file type known as Winplot.  LabVIEW will create the file and feed in the path for the c code to process.  When this was working all went well, but now I cannot get passed the DDCOpenFileEx function without the error -6204.

Thanks for checking out the solution.  I am sure you will have to relink the libraries and header files, maybe this is where my error is?  I really appreciate you taking the time to look at this.  If you are missing anything (I am not an expert at C and not sure if the resource files will carry over) I can follow up and send them.

The first zip has the solution and c files I am testing.  I will follow up with the debug folder containing the dll and exe along with the necessary DDC libraries to run.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,095 Views)

I should clarify that I return the error in the DLL via an unsigned int.  0 should be what is returned if all works well, otherwise the function returns the library error.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,093 Views)

I wanted to provide an update.  I started another project but still have not had success with the DDC library.  Instead, I have linked the CVI TDMS library to my project and changed the necessary function calls.  I am no longer receiving errors when opening files or calling functions such as retrieving the number of properties, groups, and others.

I still do not know what is going on with the DDC calls, but the CVI calls are working.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,087 Views)

So have you abandoned the Visual Studio solution?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,079 Views)

Hello mfatlin,

Not exactly.  I am still in visual studio but have abandoned using the Diadem Connectivity libraries to interface with reading the TDMS files.  Instead I am using the CVI tdms libraries.

I did the following:

1)  Added the necessary cvi libraries to my VS solution in order to interface with CVI (cvirt and cvisupp) according to the following instructions:  http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370051M-01/cvi/programmerref/using_cvi_libraries_in_external...

2)  Added the cvitdms library to my solution

3)  Added the cvi library directory and header directory to my solution under my solution properties

From there I was able to use the cvitdms.h header file and reference all of the necessary functions for accessing the tdms files.  All is compiling and working now.  I started small with my test programs and have now completed my project.  All is up and running!

Thanks everyone for taking the time.  I am not sure what happened with the DDC libs and I am still not able to get them working.  Luckily cvi has functions exist to perform the same read/write ops.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,076 Views)