LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sample C code required to manage to GPIB controllers on the same bus

I am currently  using a PC with LabWindowsCVI 8.5 and a GPIB-USB-HS interface to a rack of test equipment. I would like to modify my test software to hand control of the GPIB bus to a Fujikura splicer which can use the optical power meter already on the GPIB bus. When the splicer has finished splicing I would like the PC to get back control for the GPIB bus and carry on testing with the other instruments. The operator will click a continue button on the screen to identify when the splicer has finished. The splicer, power meter and all other equipment are all on the same GPIB bus as the PC.

Looking at the GPIB documentation I see that I should be able to grant CIC ( controller in charge) to the Fujikura and then get back CIC for the PC which I believe will be the System controller.

I have found the sendIFC() function which appears to get the control back to the PC can anyone tell me what the equivalent command should be to give control to the Fujikura? Also are there any standard checks I can do over the GPIB to check devices are ready to be controlled before carrying on testing?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,026 Views)

Hi! pbhamr,

Could you explain what you were trying to do again in a different way?  Cannot help you if we don't understand your question.  I have the splicer and the power meter as you do, but couldn't figure out what's the issue you're facing.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,005 Views)
Hi dcl9000,
The fujikura can be sent simple commands over a serial cable. Using this link we want to instruct it to make a splice with a given loss . To make this splice more accurate the fujikura can talk to an opm on the same gpib bus. When the splice is finished we need to use the opm and other equipment on the gpib bus from our test software running on a pc with the gpib-usb-hs interface. So the problem is how do we tell the equipment on gpib bus that for stage 1 the fujikura is in charge and for stage 2 the pc is in charge. If you have any ideas please let us know. Chris
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,911 Views)

I checked the user manual.  It doesn't provide any useful info about remote command&control via the usb cable.  This interface is used to download splicing result to the PC only.  Have you install the software come with the splicer?  You might need to talk to Fujikura about your request. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,870 Views)