LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running CVI 2013 SP2 with CVI 2015 - Windows XP Issue

Solved!
Go to solution

I see that XP is not a supported OS in CVI 2015.

Most of our PC's are Win7 now, but we do have a few legacy units that require XP due to an external controller processor limitation.

Is is possible to generate executables in CVI 2015 that will work properly with the 2013 Run-Time Engine?

Alternatively, can CVI 2013 SP2 and CVI 2015 co-exist on the same development PC?

I'd hate to get stuck with CVI 2013 SP2 for the forseeable future just to maintain a few XP-based PC's.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,982 Views)

Is is possible to generate executables in CVI 2015 that will work properly with the 2013 Run-Time Engine?

Nope: CVI programs can run only with equal or grater run-time engine

> can CVI 2013 SP2 and CVI 2015 co-exist on the same development PC?

Yes: you can have several releases of the CVI IDE on your development machine. Keep in mind that only the most recent RTE will be present in the system: this means that retesting the application in the final environment with the proper RTE is gihly recommended (I would say "mandatory") before deploying the application to the final user.

A problem may arise in installing CVI 2013 if 2015 is already present in the system, specifically since some additional toolkit and driver only attach to the most recent IDE found; hoever, digging in the forums you can find some post that addresses this specific issue

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community

Based on my experience, the best way to handle different versions of the IDE on the same Pc is to use several virtual machines.

In this way you're sure not to mix drivers, RTEs, ...

I successfully work in this way with LabWindows/CVI and LabVIEW

Vix
-------------------------------------------
In claris non fit interpretatio

-------------------------------------------
Using LV from 7
Using LW/CVI from 6.0
Message 3 of 5
(3,962 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author scottrod

Hi Shr,

I recommend reading through this Community Post: https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-23955

Essentially, you can develop code in CVI 2015 but set the executable to run on previous versions of the Run-Time Engine. Note that the earliest version of the CVI Side-by-Side RTE is 2012. You can indeed install previous versions of CVI on the same computer. The shared Run-Time Engine will be set to the most up-to-date version. The other versions will become side-by-side. The code is not guaranteed to work with previous versions of the RTE so be sure to test code locally before moving to another computer.

JD B.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 4 of 5
(3,942 Views)

Thanks JD, that was the solutin I was hoping for!

Thanks all,

Scott

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,939 Views)