From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run time error

Hello,

I'm runnig a multithread program, after 2 hours i have the famous error "Run Time error".

Is there any method to fix it?

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,780 Views)

Not with the limited informations you are supplying: every error message reports the source file and line/column where the error arises, together with some additional informations about the type of error found. Only with these infos together with the relevant code you can be able to understand what's happening and fix it.

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(2,767 Views)

Hello,

I attached the error msg.

After 2hours from running my program i have the error.

Please help me.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,735 Views)

One possible way to address this situation is to enable the generation of the map file in Build >> Target settings... and see if the address listed in the error message pertains to some of the functions in your program. Knowing if the error is related to a specific function / action in your program can be of help, even if there is no general rules to debug this error.

GPF can be tricky to debug, here is a list of discussions that address similar situations:

Strategies for dealing with general protection faults from non-debuggable threads.

What causes an "Unknown source position error in CVI?

General protection fault

(2,723 Views)

Hello Roberto,

I check the map file but i didn't find the address of this error.

Also, from yesterday i have a look to all CVI forum and subject about this error.

What about using "SetEnableResourceTracking (1);" it could help?

Any suggestion please?

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,717 Views)

The Resource Tracking is useful if you are running in the IDE: enabling it with the command you highlighted or setting the Debugging Level to Extended in Build Options dialog have the same effect to display informations in the Resource Tracking window. This resource can be usefult if you suppose the error may be due to e.g. unallocated system resources and similar scenarios.

Could you track down the error to some specific function or area in your program so that you can narrow down your checkings to it?

If you are running a compiled executable you could call CVIDynamicMemoryInfo to get some data on the allocated memory: if the problems is due to memroy leaks you should be able to detect it.

(2,708 Views)