From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reinstalled CVI 2009 and now the RTE not found when creating distribution

I had CVI 2009 and CVIRTE 2013 on my development system and I need to create a distribution with CVIRTE 2009 (customer request).  I removed CVI (add/remove) and deleted all CVTRTE 2013 files from the system.  After reinstalling CVI 2009 I get an error when I try to build a distribution with the standard RTE (The standard RTE component could not be found).  I downloaded and installed CVIRTE 2009 but component still not found.  How can I get CVI to recognize that the RTE is present?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,168 Views)

Hello basepolodad,

did you happen to see my answer to your previous thread on this subject?

Despite this, are you sure you removed all the elements of CVI from the system? Disinstalling the IDE not necessarily removes the run-time engine, so I would try and see if a program can actually be run on your developmente system and which RTE is installed: use GetCVIVersion () or GetCVIVersionYear () to see which RTE are you running on.

Now, coming to your situation, you may need to repair your install of CVI to get a coherent CVI install, and eventually go the route described in my previous post to build the appropriate distribution for your application. You have to note that only one RTE gets installed in the system, and it will be the most recent one, unless you go the side-by-side route. Additionally, if RTE 2013 remained installed in your system, RTE2009 setup will do nothing since a more recent version is present: however, this should result evident in install logs.

If the side-by-side path is not a feasible solution, I suppose your only alternative is to have a separate PC with CVI2009 only installed and develop and build your distribution there, while maintaining another system for CVI2013 develpment.

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(4,157 Views)

There are two issues that come to mind here for me:

• What version of Windows are you using? Note that CVI 2009 is not compatible with Windows 8.x according to this page.
  • There is a security patch relevant to that 2009 RTE. See here for info and get it here. CVI RTE 2010 SP1 may be a better choice.
  • I have seen the unpatched RTE blocked by filters while uploading to a server for distribution. Maybe you have something on your network/PC that blocks that unpatched RTE?

Question for NI staff: I seem to recall something about that patch requiring an upgrade from the 2009 RTE to the 2010SP1 RTE. Is there any accuracy to that?

--Ian

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,139 Views)

I am running Windows 7 and I have tried the "Repair" option for both CVI and the RTE but I still get the following unistalled components.  Is there any way to restore this link?  This is my CVI 2009 development PC but I installed a version of NIVISA that included CVIRTE 2013.  I think side by side  requires CVI 2012 so that is not an option.

cvi2.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,134 Views)