From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recently attempted to run LabVIEW to LabWindows example?

Frequently equipment manufacturers only have a LabVIEW interface available as an instrument driver, but I use LabWindows.  There was an example provided by NI at: http://www.ni.com/example/29345/en/.  The title is:

Making a LabVIEW VI an Embedded Child Window of a LabWindows/CVI Panel

However, this example is possibly out of date (2006) because it does not seem to run.  In addition, the LabVIEW Run-Time Engine installation does not provide all the required files.  Even with these header files, the program will not run because it can’t find the RTE.

So anyone successfully use this example recently?  Or have a better way of using LabVIEW drivers in their LabWindows code?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,027 Views)

To run the example, you need to use the matching version of LabVIEW RTE, in this case the “Version 6.1 LabVIEW Run-Time Engine”.  Since it seems links are frequently broken, probably best to search for text quoted above, but the link currently is:

http://www.ni.com/download/labview-run-time-engine-6.1/746/en/

However, even with the correct RTE a number of files are still missing such as extcode.h and all the references it uses.  These are supposed to be located with the RTE, but are not.  The attached CinTools.Zip file was provided from NI Tech Support.

Got to be a better way of using LabVIEW drivers in LabWindows.  Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,997 Views)

Hi Mike

Another way to use LabVIEW drivers in CVI could be converting the instrument driver into a C code. NI provides a tool to automatically do this.

This article explains how to convert a LabVIEW instrument driver into a CVI instrument driver.

Regards 

Chris S.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,974 Views)

Chris,

Thanks.  I did see your reference, but was put off by the note:

The LabVIEW Instrument Driver Export Wizard is not supported or compatible with LabVIEW 8.5 or later.  If you only have LabVIEW 8.5 or later and would like to convert your driver, please contact the Instrument Driver Group.

Although I don't know the version of LabVIEW used to generate the drivers in my immediate need, the NI tech support folks could not use the *.llb and *.vi files directly to give me a C-languate interface.  I'll keep trying.  Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,956 Views)