LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RESTART MESSAGE AFTER SETUP.EXE

I have created a setup.exe(distribution kit).
At the end of running setup, a popup message asks you restart computer now or later.
The application doesn't need to restart the computer (select "No").
My question is : is it possible to disable this message box? I hope the installation will end without this step. (This message doesn't apply all setup.exe)
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,655 Views)
Off the top of my head, there are three possible reasons why the installer is prompting for a restart: 1) you have the "Install Low-Level Support Driver" option checked -- this driver requires a reboot of the machine 2) you are including a hardware configuration in your installation (this option exists in CVI 7.0 only), or 3) you are installing in an older OS that needs to update its installer engine prior to the installation itself.

If the reason for the restart is that you are including the low-level support driver, you have to find out whether or not the particular application you are installing really needs it. Most applications don't. If your application calls any of the following functions, then you need the driver:

inp
inpw
outp
outpw
ReadFromPhysi
calMemory
ReadFromPhysicalMemoryEx
WriteToPhysicalMemory
WriteToPhysicalMemoryEx
MapPhysicalMemory
UnMapPhysicalMemory
DisableInterrupts
EnableInterrupts
DisableTaskSwitching

If you don't call any of these functions, then you should be able to uncheck that option and your problem will be solved.

If the cause for the restart is one of the two other possibilities, or maybe some other unknown (to me) reason -- such as access to certain files being denied, for example -- then it is not really recommended that you suppress the restart. However, if you are sure that you don't need it, there is something you can do that will probably work: you can override the restart decision of the installer by setting the REBOOT property of the Windows Installer.

The way that you specify a property/value combo with a CVI distribution kit is by passing it as a command line option to the installer exe. In this case, you would do the following:

setup.exe REBOOT=ReallySuppress

This shou
ld suppress the reboot, no matter what the circumstances...

Luis
NI
Message 2 of 2
(2,655 Views)