From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential uninitialized variable?

Solved!
Go to solution

The latest CVI 2015 complains about the usage of some "possible uninitialized" variables.

I've been able to extract a little portion of code which produces the warning "variable 'aux[j]' may be uninitialized when used here".

The code is part of a sorting routine I downloaded from the web years ago and I'm not sure that the warning is correct.

int	aux[4], a[4]={1,2,3,4};
int	i, j, k, left=0, center=0, right=1;

for (i = center+1; i > left; i--) aux[i-1] = a[i-1];	/* this initializes aux[0] */
	for (j = center; j < right; j++) aux[right+center-j] = a[j+1];	/* this initializes aux[1] */
	for (k = left; k <= right; k++) {
		if (aux[j] < aux[i]) a[k] = aux[j--];	/* the if() compares aux[0] and aux[1]. Both of them seems initialized... */
		else a[k] = aux[i++];
	}

The warning is on the line if (aux[j] < aux[i]) but based on the above lines I think that both of the variables are initialized.

But maybe the routine is written in a bad way and it's better to rewrite it.

Could someone help me analyzing this warning to check if it is correct (and so I need to rewrite the routine) or not?

Vix
-------------------------------------------
In claris non fit interpretatio

Using LV from 7
Using LW/CVI from 6.0
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(7,399 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author vix

What is the harm in just initialising the variable when you declare it: aux[4]={0} ?

Message 2 of 7
(7,368 Views)

If I declare declare it: aux[4]={0} I don't have the warning anymore.

Can you explain why?

Thanks

Vix

Using LV from 7
Using LW/CVI from 6.0
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(7,347 Views)

I have absolutely no idea. I am not a compiler expert, and do not know the inner workings of Clang. I did some simple experiments, declaring left, centre and right as const, and setting the optimization level to 3 to see if that prompted the compiler to analyse the code any better. It made no difference whatsoever, and I come to the conclusion that the uninitialized variable detection algorithm is pretty simple minded.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(7,323 Views)

Hi,

Sorry for being a little late.

The compiler is actually being clever when it is giving the warning.

The reason is not because it is thinking simple. It actually has thought it through.

About the first 2 for loops, which -you think- initialized aux[4]; beware that they may not get executed!

The looping condition is tested for even the first iteration. There is no guarantee that i > left and j < right.

Even if they execute, still the compiler cannot be sure the that those for loops initialize each and every one of the members of aux.

Initializing to 0 explicitly removes all those question marks.

Maybe the compiler is not so dumm after all, is it? 😉

Hope this helps,

S. Eren BALCI
IMESTEK
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(7,136 Views)

First of all, thank you for your contribute to this topic.

I'm not 100% convinced about your explanation:

• since I explicitly initialize the variables "left", "center" and "right", the first two loops are executed and they initialize aux[0] and aux[1] (as I wrote in the comments of my code)
  • the third loop compares aux[0]and aux[1] and bot of them have been initialized by the first two loop

My real code is a little bit complicated and you explanation is probably correct.

But I created this "dummy code" by purpose, to see if the behavior of the compiler would have changed or not

Vix

Using LV from 7
Using LW/CVI from 6.0
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(7,131 Views)

Do you expect a compiler to make an "internal dry run" of your code and decide if all of your loops are entered and keep track of the members of the arrays which are initialized, which are not?

Think about multi-thread applications etc.. This would be a useless effort for the compiler to begin with.

Yours may be a simple dummy code but this is not upon the compiler to decide.

So the compiler has to be straightforward.

If the variable initialization is in a conditionally executed block, it is considered potentially uninitialized.

I did not try it but the conditions may be evaluated offline only if the variables are marked "const".

S. Eren BALCI
IMESTEK
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(7,122 Views)