LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC (Win7 64bit) completely freezes after a while due to CVI 9.0.1 32bit application: issue in cvirte.dll

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a strange issue with my CVI application. After a certain, not constant time (mostly a day or so), the PC freezes completely when my application is running. Reviewing the system event logs, I can see lots of entries coming from CVI, sometimes 8times per second!

It mostly looks like the following:

The description for Event ID 0 from source CVI cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

[14:18:42.389] [FATAL] [GetLWMessage] [..\jsource\jn_msgs.c:672] Assertion failed: FALSE (Error in Message Handler:  unknown message code #12689 received)

Although the system event log is set to a size of 20MB only and the fact that it's automatically overwriting (FIFO) itself, the PC seems not being able to deal with this high amount of queued entries.

I searched the internet but found absolutely no hint. I then searched through my code using find in files and finally only found the following sequence within the cvirte.dll when using "*.*" as file extension filter:

..\jsource\jn_msgs.c    ConvertMsgText  Error in Message Handler:  unknown message code #%ld received   GetLWMessage

Hence exactly what the system event log tells me. I wonder that there is some Java related stuff in a CVI runtime dll  

Is this something known to someone, any idea how I can overcome this?

I already tried to run my application using WinXP SP3 compatibility mode but this didn't help.

I will try to further narrow down the issue. I will also try to recompile my application using CVI2015

The application does not crash in general. There are different configurations of my tool where it runs lots of days. I therefore have to identify the exact circumstances. Also there is no memory leak, hence RAM consumption does not increase unnecessarily during runtime.

Any help highly appreciated

Thanx and regards

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,660 Views)

Hi IEE_newsoft,

In order to better assist you, I have some follow-up questions for you;

1. To confirm your configuration: you are running an EXE built in LabWindows/CVI 9.0.1 on a machine that has LabWindows/CVI and the LabWindows/CVI RTE installed?

1. Have you tired running the application on a different machine with the same configuration to see if the issue reproduces?

1. Have you been able to identify a sequence that seems to trigger the freeze?

1. How do you recover from the freeze? Do you have to restart the machine or kill the process?

For your reference, that version of LabWindows/CVI is not officially supported in Windows 7:       

LabWindows/CVI for Windows Vista/XP/2000, Version 9.0.1

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/ad0f282819902a1986256f79005462b1/d3b299c1c2a31d89862575900066e0db/$...

Supported Operating Systems for LabWindows™/CVI

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/3FA3982EBA12B3D286256896005FAA39

Regards,

Kyle S.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

http://www.ni.com/support

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,639 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author IEE_newsoft

Hi Kyle,

thanx for your reply!

In the meantime I managed to solve the issue. Checking date and version of the runtime dlls on the target PCs, I found out that they differed from the runtime dlls that have been installed with my application using the distribution kit. After reinstalling the application there were no new event log error entries anymore, hence this solved the issue 🙂

I only wonder from where these dlls came from...

Thanx and regards

Manfred

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,592 Views)