From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Operate UI build error

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

just a tiny little issue: on a panel I have a progress bar. Now, if I switch to Operate UI in the UI editor, the UI needs to be saved, compiled, and linked, and the latter results in some errors, see below. Not a real issue as I can test all events/tooltips in the UI editor, but errors are always somewhat irritating Smiley Wink.

operateUI.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,449 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang,

This is a confirmed bug in 2013: #424745.

It's expected that the custom control's code needs to be compiled and linked (not saved, though). However, the link should succeed, and you should be able to interact with the custom control while in operate mode. This was the behavior in 2012. Admittedly, there isn't any good way to interact with a progress bar in the UI editor. But for other custom controls (password control, for example) it makes more sense.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,441 Views)

Hi Luis Smiley Happy

Thanks for confirmation. So I actually see two bugs:

- the need to save the UI file before I can check my tooltips

- the link errors caused by custom controls

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,434 Views)

Is this the dialog you're seeing?

save.png

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,428 Views)

Yes 😉 And I would be happy to not see it every time 🙂 I am not asked if I am compiling my code and had modified it before because the compiler is using the temporary file, so why is it different for UI resources?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,425 Views)

You're assuming that I would disagree with you... I don't necessarily disagree Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 9
(4,423 Views)

That's (very) nice to hear Smiley Very Happy Indeed, most of the time I am afraid of posting yet another comment/complaint/suggestion...

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,416 Views)

Wolfgang

I for one very much appreciate your input on this board. Moving to the Clang compiler obviously has been a huge task, and NI were unable to find all the bugs. It is good to see that people are finding these and reporting them.

My reading of the CLANG Wikipedia entry implies that it supports C++ and ARM. It would be nice to think that these could be on the agenda once NI have the issues arising from the migration to CLANG sorted out.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,395 Views)

Resolved in CVI2013 Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,477 Views)