cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No error message or warning in build output, but build fails

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I'm trying to compile a project I've ported from CVI 5.0 to CVI 2013. When I compile it the Build Output window shows all files included in the project, no warnings nor errors but the build failed. I ought to say that I'm new at CVI. I tried most of the build options and of course to configure warnings. It makes no difference. And as long as I don't get any error messages I can't start to debug. I hope I've made some simple beginner mistake. So thanks for any tip you may have.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(5,357 Views)

Hello rdwitt,

Is your project located on a network drive? If so, please consult this post. Basically, installing the 2013 Patch f1 should solve the problem.

Please write if you run into any other troubles.

=Nelu F. || National Instruments.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(5,348 Views)

Good morning NeluF,

Thank you for your answer. No, the project isn't located in a network drive. I've tried the patch anyway. Sadly, it makes no difference. During my error search yesterday I relocated the project files form c:\Project\.. to c:\..\Desktop\Project\..

After this, I received one warning for a missing file (I accidentally didn't copy it with the project). I fixed it by copying the forgotten file to the right path, but the problem remains. No errors, no warnings, but the build fails. Is it possible that there is something wrong with project file? The program was originally written in cvi 5.0 as fare as I can see. Maybe any option is set wrong? Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(5,328 Views)

Hello rdwitt,

Is the problem consistent on every build? What OS are you using? Do you think you can send us the project (or a reduced version of the project) that reproduces this issue?

As a possible workaround, you could try creating a 2013 new project and adding your files to it.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(5,317 Views)

Hi NeluF,

yes the problem is the same each time I build it. But not in every project. I have a older project version which compiles fine in the debug but crashes in the release. To solve this, I created a new project, including all files from the old one. But in this new project I have the problem that I don't get any errors or warnings. So I'm afraid the workaround won't do.

The OS is Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64 Bit.

Its a Intel Celeron Dual core with 2.60 GHz an 4 GB RAM.

I can send you the project as a zip. The program communicates via GPIB and RS232 with external hardware. But it doesn't check for hardware unless it is running and one pushes the button "messen" in the main panel.

The zip is 10 MB. Should I send it attached? Or can you give me email address?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(5,312 Views)

Hey rdwitt,

You can either attach it or upload it to our ftp server (ftp.ni.com/incoming). If neither is suitable for you, you could send it to ioan.**bleep**arasan@ni.com

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(5,309 Views)

I tried to attach it, but it seems to be to big. So I uploaded it here: ftp://ftp.ni.com/incoming/NTCIII.zip

The project file is located in the "main" folder (...\NTCIII.zip\NTC Prüfstand III\Main) and is called "NTC III.prj"

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(5,305 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author rdwitt

Hello rdwitt,

I was able to reproduce the issue. The problem lies within CVI, so it's not related to a project setting. Apparently, the special character in the word "Prüfstand" affects the functionality of the build system. This was a known issue for CVI 2013, and was fixed in the patch. I was able to upgrade CVI 2013 with the patch, and the issue disappeared. The build fails due to errors in multiple files.

Did the patch upgrade didn't work for you? I applied the patch, restarted CVI and was able to build the project from Desktop\NTC Prüfstand III\Main\...

Another workaround would be to remove the special character from Prüfstand. 

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(5,299 Views)

Hi NeluF,

I'm glad you managed to reproduce it. I have installed the patch and restarted the computer. Just in case restarting cvi is not  enough. But it didn't work. I will try to replace the character "ü" and if it works.

One Moment please..

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(5,295 Views)

Hi NeluF,

the "ü" was the problem. I changed the folder name and restart CVI and now it shows errors and warnings. The Patch didn't work, but this simple workaround is fine with me.

So Thank you very much!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(5,294 Views)