From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Read or Write into SQL Database in Distribution configuration (Urgent)

Hello

I have build an application that have use database. It works fine when in debug mode but when i make installer then there is no read or write operation into database. I am using SQL Toolkit 2.2 and LabWindows 2010 and SQL Server 2008.

Kindly help me because now i want to handover application to my client.

Best Regards

Umer

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,291 Views)

Hi Umer

This is a standard issue with the SQL toolkit. Read the Help under Library Reference->SQL Toolkit Library->SQL Language Reference->Distributing an SQL Toolkit Executable or DLL.

It says:

"Distribute the following files with an executable or DLL that uses SQL Toolkit functions.

1. You must use the CVISQLShared.msm merge module to install support for the LabWindows/CVI SQL Toolkit. The CVISQLShared.msm merge module is located in the Program Files\Common Files\Merge Modules directory.
    Note Note  Use the CVISQLShared_x64.msm merge module for 64-bit executables and DLLs.
  2. Include the sqldistsupp.exe and sqldistsupp.dsn files when you create a LabWindows/CVI distribution in order to install required database components. Set sqldistsupp.exe as the program to run after installation in the distribution.

The sqldistsupp.exe program, located in the [CVIDIR]\redist directory, creates a system data source name using sqldistsupp.dsn. The sample sqldistsupp.dsn file creates a data source called CVI SQL Samples, which works with the Microsoft Access ODBC driver. You can use the tokens [WindowsDirectory], [WindowsSystemDirectory], [CVISQLInstallDirectory], and [AppInstallDirectory] in the .dsn file. At installation time, the sqldistsupp.exe program replaces these tokens with the proper paths.

Note Notes
    • For 64-bit executables and DLLs, use the sqldistsupp.exe and sqldistsupp.dsn files in the [CVIDIR]\redist\x64 directory.
    • [CVISQLInstallDirectory] is the directory containing sqldistsupp.exe and is equivalent to [AppInstallDirectory].
    • The location of [CVIDIR] varies depending on the latest version of LabWindows/CVI you have installed.

Version[CVIDIR] Folder Location
      LabWindows/CVI not installed National Instruments\Shared\CVI
      LabWindows/CVI 8.1.1 or earlier National Instruments\CVIxx
      LabWindows/CVI 8.5 or later National Instruments\Shared\CVI

"

Now, why this essential information is buried is the entirely counter-intuitive SQL Language Reference section I do not know.

Neither do I understand why the install builder does not do this automatically.

Anyone from NI care to comment?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,282 Views)