From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI VISA 5.4 ok to use, NOT WORKING when building an application

I'm using Mac Book Pro with OS Mavericks. Installed NI VISA 5.4 for MAC. It can detect an USB instrument ok - via NI VISA CONFIGURATION tool.

Now trying to build Xcode based example programs that installer provided does not work out of the box for at least 2 reasons:

- NI is putting the framework in the wrong location (maybe good back in Snow Leopard a few years ago)

- Find Frameworks has to be changed to point to where NI puts the VISA framework.

Having the above Xcode project sorted out - it builds. Runing any of the applications though causes:

"Abort trap: 6"

I'm building with XCODE Version 5.0.2 (5A3005), which uses Apple LLVM 5.0 (based on LLVM 3.3).

Which version of gcc was your framework built with ? Will it ever be supported in recent/latest/modern versions of LLVM ??

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,128 Views)

I have the exact same problem "Abort trap: 6" when I am running PyVisa library in Mavericks. It seem something changed in mavrickes that breaks the NI VISA driver. Really keen to see if there is an resolution to this other than downgrade the Mac OS.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,016 Views)

Something like this thread might be helpful:

http://trac.macports.org/ticket/41077

The complete "Abort trap:6" is here. Note the this line here. Maybe the strcpy is enforcing crash. Somewhere in the code of NI VISA. There is a strcpy that overlaps the buffer.

------------

Application Specific Information:
/Library/Frameworks/VISA.framework/Versions/A/VISA
detected source and destination buffer overlap

-----------

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,012 Views)