LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monitoring one PC using another in CVI

I need to implement the following using CVI. Has anyone done something of this sort before?

"The computers will operate in a master-slave mode. Normally the slave will do nothing except store a copy of the data collected by the master. The slave will also keep a copy of the pointers indicating where in the test sequence the master is. The slave will act as a watchdog for the master. If the master does not wake up and send the appropriate commands on the CAN-bus at the correct time, the slave will query the master. If there is no response, the slave will take over the master�s role and command the master to reboot as the slave."
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,533 Views)
Hello,
Never tried doing this specifically, but I've got a couple of ideas. The first thing to figure out would be how you want to communicate between the two computers. You could probably use the CAN bus, although I would reccommend using TCP/IP (specifically DataSocket) unless you have a good reason not to (it's considerably easier to program). Once you decide that it's just a matter of setting up some message passing between them. As for the reboot, you can use Windows API calls (see KB 21SE44PR and Windows API System Shutdown Functions
). You'd need to figure out some way of determining which behavior is run on reboot, but you could do that with some file I/O or more TCP/IP.

Hope that helps,
Ryan K.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,533 Views)