LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microcontroller with LabWindows

Solved!
Go to solution

I am writing a test procedure in LabWindows.  I want to talk to a microcontroller in order to tell it when to control a motor.  I am considering using one of Atmel's mega chip series; however, I have never performed this task.  I am curious if there are certain precautions that I need to take into account before I choose a mcu and/or features that are advantageous for LabWindows.  The plan was to use some type of serial interface, but again, maybe there are better interface methods for this sort of thing.  Are there any developers with this sort of experience that may have some general thoughts about this sort of task?

Thanks,

Alex

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,925 Views)

If you are considering to use atmega series chips, there is a readily available prototyping platform, Arduino. It allows to immediately start developing your CVI code. If you get an Arduino Uno, it is connected through USB port which behaves like a virtual COM port.

First precaution is; every time you open the com port (OpenComConfig) the Arduino resets. Since there is a bootloader on Arduino and it delays the program start a little. If you to put a 2-3 second delay after you open the port you'll be OK.

Second, the atmega chips do not have big UART buffers. So do not send too much at a time. Use start/stop characters and devise a nice protocol to transfer data with some handshake. So make sure you are in-sync with the processor.

Hope this helps,

S. Eren BALCI
IMESTEK
Message 2 of 7
(3,871 Views)

I have decided on using an ARM Cortex 7 based dev board.  I assume LabWindows can accept the MCU via some type of UART protocol?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,796 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alex.Pinion

It is not about  LabWindows accepting the MCU, it is about your computer accepting it as a "COM port".

If your computer recognizes the connection as a serial communication and assigns a COM port number to that connection, then LabWindows can and will "accept" it as an UART connection to your MCU.

The protocol is up to you to decide.

S. Eren BALCI
IMESTEK
Message 4 of 7
(3,783 Views)

I have the same question I want to talk to a microcontroller to tell him when to control an engine (support that carries a camera) using the ARDUINO card under LABWINDOWS; However, I have never done this task and I am new to this software. I am curious to know if there are some precautions to take into account to choose features that are advantageous for LabWindows as interface / function , manipulation ..,. Are there any developers with this type of experience who could have ideas and who could help me ??? thks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,400 Views)

I recommend you to create a new thread with the question to have everything well documented. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,386 Views)

thank you ill do it

^^

rose

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,372 Views)