LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MessagePopup hidden behind other windows

Some users running XP find that a MessagePopup in my app sometimes does not appear on top of other windows. (This MessagePopup prompts for another floppy disk to be inserted before it is written to.) The results is that app appears to have crashed, until one finds the MessagePopup buried in the back.

I think I recall that upon installation of the CVI development environment I was presented with a message to the effect that my (XP) system settings might prevent CVI windows from being displayed properly, and could CVI adjust my settings for me? Could it be that my users need this setting changed too? If so what is it?

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,547 Views)
Andrew,

The MessagePopup should be a modal window, this mens that your application will be blicked until this dialog is closed, and alos means that if other windows hide the application, and you bring the app again you should see the popup panel ot top of the rest of the application. I did some testings here with CVI 6 and could not get the message window to hide, it was allways on top of the CVI app.

The setting that you are talking about during the installation refers to a debugging option, you can chage this is the Environment option, but will have no effect in any target computer.

A way to make sure that the popup panel is attended is to make this the only panel available, something like this:

HidePanel(handle);
MessagePopup ("This is a test",
"User must attend this window to be able to continue");
DisplayPanel(handle);

This way the only visible thing of your application is the popup panel.

I hope this helps,

Juan Carlos
N.I.
Message 2 of 5
(3,547 Views)
Thanks, Juan Carlos. Your information on the modal behavior of the MessagePopup window is reassuring, and I'm glad that we can rule out that Environment option.

I can't replicate the problem either, so I will have to get more specific reports to confirm or discount the claims that the MessagePopup sometimes gets hidden.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,547 Views)
Andrew,

I guess there is something in that specific computer that sometimes the message gets hidden. Let us know when you have more info on what is happening there.

Regards,

Juan Carlos
N.I.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,547 Views)

I too have had similar reports from my users.  It is indeed hard to replicate.  I have seen it happen in person, and some weird combination of ALT + TAB and clicking on the task tray app icons can eventually force the modal MessagePopup to return focus.

I like your Hide/ShowPanel trick.  I'll give that a try.

In my case, I suspect that it's a sort of "competition" between two modal windows.  I have my MessagePopup being launched from another panel which is itseld opened by InstallPopup.

Another solution could be to abandon MessagePopup, and replace with a custom panel.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,742 Views)