LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measuring value of voltage after a digital edge with time delay

Hello,

I am new to labwindows.I am developing a data acquisition system for a small particle detector. I need to read the value of the voltage pulse at a set time after recieving a digital trigger pulse. I am working with a ni9205 and a ni9403 (and a cDAQ9174)

I have noticed that the ni9205 has a PFI0 pin that can be used to trigger measurements but I can't find how to delay the measurement upto a specified a time interval after the trigger. Also, I had expected that the ni9403 could be used to trigger the voltage readings given that it is a device specialized for digital measurements, but I have not been able to do that.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,075 Views)

This all depends on the duration and precision of the delay you require between the trigger pulse and the analog reading. With the hardware listed, I think you have 3 options:

1. Detect the edge transition and time the delay in software.

2. Use some discrete logic (e.g. HC series TTL) or an FPGA to build a delay circuit that triggers from your trigger pulse, delays a time set by the digital output of the NI9403, and then triggers the NI9205. This will be the most precise method, especially if you use a good quality crystal oscillator.

3. The cDAQ9174 has 4 timer/counters. It is possible that you could do what you want with these, but a close read of the manual, some thought & experimentation will be required.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(4,067 Views)