LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Level Support driver not found

Solved!
Go to solution

I am having trouble using the StartPcSound() function in LabWindows CVI 2013. I noticed that I need the LowLevelSupport Driver installed to run this function, but when I call

CVILowLevelSupportDriverLoaded function to see if the driver is installed, it always returns 0. I verified that it is insalled, and also reinstalled it manually. When I go into Drivers & Componets, the driver is listed there so I know it is atleast somewhere. Why can't CVILowLevelSupportDriverLoaded find the driver? I tried running with admin previliges and also on a 32 bit build.

Thank you, Caleb 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(5,291 Views)

The help speaks about the low level support driver not supported 64-bit systems: I understand it refers to processor architecture, not to build configuration.

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(5,279 Views)

"The low-level support driver capabilities are available only on 32-bit Windows operating systems. However, the low-level support driver can be redistributed from a 64-bit operating system to a 32-bit operating system"

This comes from a document that talks about an security Update.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/E42DE5929616F5A08625792100766272

So even though the driver is included, I still cant use it?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(5,276 Views)

You cannot use it on a 64-bit OS. It has to do with the architecture or the processor. The driver is still installed on such systems but only for distribution on 32-bit systems, where it will be fully functional.

(5,266 Views)

You may consider alternatives to StartPcSound: CVI comes with a Beep () function, or you can use Windows Beep () function, for which you can find an example of use here; additionally, you can use Windows PlaySound () function: I am attaching a sample experiment I wrote some years ago on that.

All these functions work on 64-bit systems without need for prileged access.

(5,269 Views)

Im sorry, I wasnt clear with my response. I am working on a 32 bit system.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(5,220 Views)

So basically I cannot find a reason why this function will not work. I am running on 32 bit Windows 7. CVI 13 has the drivers installed initially. I can see that the driver is installed. I have the need (utility.h)  header files in the program, and the program builds just fine. just CVILowLevelSupportDriverLoaded does not find the driver, and StartPcSounds does not play any sounds. Do I have to Create a distribution of it for it to work?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(5,216 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Haywac

Well, I have no direct experience on the low level driver so I cannot argue which can be the problem. Nevertheless, in my opinion you should consider the alternatives I pointed you to, which do not need running with administrative privileges: they grant you portability and scalability and avoid potential security breach.

Hi, Roberto, thanks for your words. I'm using outp(0x..., 0x....);to control PC parrelel port, which also need the low level driver function, If I shift the development environment to Win7-64bit platform, does there have any alternative way to control the LPT port? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(4,917 Views)

I cannot help you as I never used such function.

(4,913 Views)