cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest runtime engine not supporting XP

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

some days ago I started to create a dll using LabWindows/CVI 2015 (Evaluation Version, Version 15.0.1(239), runtime engine 15.0.1.239) , installed on a Windows 7 Professional SP1 system.

The dll will be used within an CVI-based application running on target system with Windows XP Professional SP3 as OS. The runtime engine there has version 12.0.0.422 (CVI 2012). 

As the version of runtime engine on target system should match or exceed the one on development system, I tried to install the CVI SP1 runtime "NILWCVIRTE2015SP1.exe" on the target system. But I got message "This installation requires Windows 7 SP1 or later", what in the end corresponds to the given system requirement regarding OS (-> Windows 8.1; Windows 8; Windows 7; Windows Server 2012 R2 64-bit; Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit).

What can I do to get my dll run on XP-target system ?

Probably the 2015 runtime engine usable for XP does not exist ? 

Installing CVI 2012 on development system and compile/build there the dll is probably one solution, but are there other possibilities ?

Thanks for your help,

NewInCVI

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,173 Views)

There is little you can do in this situation: as you can see here Windows XP supports only executables up to CVI2013.

I'm afraid downgrading your development to an older release is the only feasible option.

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(4,161 Views)

Thanks for this rapid answer.

Though that is what I expected, following 2 further questions:

1) Isn't it possible (perhaps in future first) when creating a distribution kit you can select the target system and the corresponding runtime engine is chosen/packed/or whatever within the kit ? 

2) Downgrading CVI from 2015 (evaluation) to 2013 (also evaluation), do I have to de-install 2015 first and then install 2013, or can this downgrade be done in another way ?

NewInCVI

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,157 Views)

When creating a distribution kit you can specify the correct RTE to install on the target system: if the corresponding files are not already on the PC you will be prpmpted to insert the correct media when required.

With respect to the upgrade, if you are using only CVI you should be able to directly install 2013 without problems. The setup will skip the installation of the RTE since one only can exist at any moment in the system and is the most recent one available. Different is the case if you need additional toolkits or drivers (like DAQmx or IMAQ or so): the policy of installation has changed during time so I'm not sure whether you can install an older version and add the additional software to it or not.

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(4,153 Views)

Regarding the distribution and possible specification of the correct RTE, where can I find or select this within CVI 2015 ? In "Build/Distributions/Manage Distributions..." I set up a new distribution and then searched within the "Edit Installer" for selecting correct RTE. In reg "Advanced" you can chose the "Minimum operating system version" , but here the minimum is "Windows 7 + Service Pack 1", not XP. Do I have to add somewhere some entry ? Or finally, did you mean I could do this within CVI 2013 ?

Regarding the upgrade or installation of CVI 2013 (evaluation), can you provide some help pls: I don't find directly a link to the downloader.exe or exe itself like I got for CVI 2015. Probably I can take indeed the following one (*), but here I read this: "Register your serial number or renew your SSP to access previous versions." As I have installed CVI 2015 (evaluation) currently I don't have serial number (and no SSP). So, how getting CVI 2013 evaluation version ?

(*) http://www.ni.com/download/labwindowscvi-full-development-system-2013-sp1/4544/en/

NewInCVI

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,142 Views)

Hi,

The issue you're running into isn't specific to CVI, but rather an underlying deployment framework called MDF that many NI installers use (including CVI distributions). This KB has a nice description of what you're seeing.

You can try the workaround listed in that KB of modifying setup.ini, but if any of your dependencies aren't compatible with XP (newer drivers/runtimes/etc..), then you might have other installer or runtime errors.

Just to be clear, downgrading to CVI 2013 on this PC isn't going to fix this unless you also downgrade the version of MDF (you can only have 1 version of MDF installed). For that reason I'd recommend using a separate PC or VM for building legacy distributions that need to install on XP.

Hope this helps,

Trent

https://www.linkedin.com/in/trentweaver
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,099 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author NewInCVI

Meanwhile I have a working solution with which I can realize my (little) project.

As you also recommended I decided to install CVI on the XP machine. I've chosen CVI 2012, not 2013. The reason is simple, other team members use CVI 2012 and have licenses and of course also the CD for installation. Due to missing license for me I installed it on XP (like my 2015 on Win7 PC) as evaluation version, what is enough for me at the moment, regarding the time I need it.

So currently I develop under CVI 2015 my application (as it is a little bit more comfortable to work at desk and not in the lab) , "carry" the modified source/header/whatever -files to XP machine and compile/build there the project new/again, that's all. And that is working for me (of course, the code created under 2015 must be compatible toe 2012 coding).

So, thanks a lot for help,

and perhaps see you in other topic,

NewInCVI  

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,039 Views)