LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabWindows/CVI Idea Exchange

Cvi IS easy to learn, consistent and its strenght is that it does not want to be everything foe everybody!
The libraries are logical, eady to use and almost comprehensive with additional support with how to use examples that are excellent staring pounts for new applications. The instrument drivers are also a big plus.
I am not trained programmer and I assume many of the users wear simikar soes, we do not have time to learn a bunch of programming languages to have the most fashionable perfect solutions to solve a mostly tachnical problem. I never needed to leave CVI for a solution!
Ok. There was one: the lack of support for GPUs, but with adding support for parrallel procesding even thi issue is less painful.
Please keep up with the excellent work Labwindows CVI team!!!
Message 31 of 37
(5,038 Views)
Cvi IS easy to learn, consistent and its strenght is that it does not want to be everything foe everybody!
The libraries are logical, eady to use and almost comprehensive with additional support with how to use examples that are excellent staring pounts for new applications. The instrument drivers are also a big plus.
I am not trained programmer and I assume many of the users wear similar shooes, we do not have time to learn a bunch of programming languages to have the most fashionable perfect solutions to solve a mostly tachnical problem. I never needed to leave CVI for a solution!
Ok. There was one: the lack of support for GPUs, but with adding support for parrallel procesding even thi issue is less painful.
Please keep up with the excellent work Labwindows CVI team!!!
0 Kudos
Message 32 of 37
(5,037 Views)

Not really. The compiler changes the optimizations on the fly and the resulting code will be different each time. However you have the distributable fixed and calculate CRC or MD5 to authenticate the file.

0 Kudos
Message 33 of 37
(3,049 Views)

Strongly disagree. CVI is excellent and the collection of specific scientific libraries are its strength. The IDE is simple, clear and sufficient for scientific programming. It does not want to be everything for everyone. What is great idea. ECLIPSE and VS are cumbersome, complicated and have a VERY STEEP learning curve. I am not a professional programmer, never wanted to be, and restrict myself to solve problems that I face in my professional life as biologist, requiring writing control software for bioreactors, image analysis, data and signal analysis for electrophysiological recordings, control micromotors, microcontrollers, interfacing with unique, home built instruments,. I do not have time for tinkering with exotic programming languages, brilliant algorithms that require 5 different environment and scripting and what not. 

Labwindows is perfect for programmers like me. Even C++ is an overkill, although occassionally I would risk importing special source code fragments, but seldom do need it, CVI has a almost complete set of libraries and I seldom need even external dllls or libs (SQLite is an example). The two fps I would like to have is a primitive crypto library with user management, authentication and encrypt/decrypt functionality of data buffers and files, and encrypted streaming via  serial and ethernet communication, and perhaps database  handling for GMP quality software development. I am working on one, but it is really tedious, and may end up with an amateurish result. It is very small, capable of running on microcontrollers as well.

The second library is a support for GPU processing. Those graphic cards are awesome, and accessing them through VS, ECLIPSE or raw CUDA compiler is just a headache of complexity. That support combined with the highly effective simplicity of style Labwindows can be so proud of,  would open up AI development and extreme data /image processing capability for CVI programmers. GPUs are mature enough for that support.

Message 34 of 37
(3,048 Views)

Hi

1. Will labview 2020 also work as labwindows CVI 2020
  2. Will labview 2020 (or labwindows CVI 2020 if supported) be able to save files in labview/labwindows 2010 format?
0 Kudos
Message 35 of 37
(1,523 Views)

C++? Why? Absolutely no justification for that. There are a truckload of C++ compilers out there and their users are dying of the excessive complexity and overhead. 
You want reusable code? Write a library!

you want C++ code? Use a DLL or a C wrapper!

Keep Labwindows fast, simple and bug free for C programners. 

Message 36 of 37
(1,515 Views)

One software for rvery purpose fir every programer and you end up with bloatware like eclipse and Visual studio. It is idiotic if you are full time professional programmer. An engineer tgat NEEDS a practical platform or a Biologist like me programming bioreactor control software, filtering digitaluzed physiological signals, or develop fast genetic algorithm are horrified even by the thought of changing course your way. 

0 Kudos
Message 37 of 37
(1,514 Views)