LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabWindows/CVI Idea Exchange

Uhu Smiley Very Happy

...and I am curious....

...and wanted to enquire about the status of the CVI Idea Exchange...

There the last action of NI dates back to early February this year, i.e., 9 months ago...

Since then no new idea has been investigated, no idea seems to be in development nor in beta... Smiley Sad

Any hope? Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 21 of 37
(9,014 Views)

NI should get out of the compiler/compiler UI business per-say, and focus at what they are really great at (ie, LabView and Instruments).  I personally have taken several products and made them work under Eclipse (ie the c/c++ compiler of the A93k for example), and I think NI could go far by following a similar model.  Eclipse CDT already does almost everything CVI does, and a million other things better.  You are re-inventing the wheel.  Take your product, place it under the Eclipse umbrella with plugins and libraries, and make your callbacks, inst controls, etc. work under CDT and JDT plugins.  Add a few extra plugins for UI modeling, and pull together a couple of other pieces, and LabWindows could jump from a late 90's look and feel to the modern age.

Message 22 of 37
(8,916 Views)

Sorry, but i do not agree with that.

Eclipse : ( In short it is:  big, resource and CPU hungry, complicated)

-it has some nice features (i realy want coloring of #if  .. #endif block by actual compiler condition in CVI), but not all of them are must needed things.

-it is not so easy to learn and use, when compared with CVI (and Visual studio express).

-every comercial plugins i see/use have problems when new version is released (plugin api?).

-I always feel like if eclipse need speed boost, not only its horrible slow workspace loading and startup time, but also normal work is not "smooth" like in CVI ide.

-Both of them , eclipse and CVI ide, has similar number of litle bugs.

Sure,there is space for improvement in CVI ide, but that does not mean that there is no place for it. At least for me.

The cvi compiler is very good and the new clang based version is even better.

Its improvements are  very helpful for beginer/nonregular programmers and for quick prototype application (pointer/array range check, unitialized variable check, resource tracking, ... - improved and packed to all-in-one-easy-to-use package).

CVI compiler+runtime is not bulet-proof/best of all/without any errors (for example i would like that cvi follow clang improvement more quickly) but it is great one.

Message 23 of 37
(8,850 Views)

Hello OVR_CZ this is not the real Idea Exchange board: this suggestion has been posted there by Ron and I suggest you repost your comment there in order to keep the discussion in one place only.

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community

another

0 Kudos
Message 25 of 37
(8,703 Views)

I am wondering what the new Idea Status of 'Under Review' means - as compared to the previous status of 'Under Consideration'...

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 37
(8,644 Views)

How does one join the CVI users group?

0 Kudos
Message 27 of 37
(8,616 Views)

My department has a very large work space and we have a requirement that there should be no warnings during a build.  I would like to see an optionh that would prevent a build from completing / running if warnings appear in the build

0 Kudos
Message 28 of 37
(7,304 Views)

Hello rayp,

this thread is for presenting the CVI Idea Exchange, it's not intended as a place where to introduce requirements. To suggest an enhancement to CVI you should post in the Idea Exchange board

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(7,300 Views)

I'll cross post, but I was told by a NI Application engineer to post here

0 Kudos
Message 30 of 37
(7,284 Views)