LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabWindows 2010 stack trace problem

Hello!

I have a bit of a problem regarding how to generate a stack trace, when an application crasches in the runtime code (cvirte.dll, functions like _GetCVILogTimingHandle@0 and _SetProcessorAffinityForThread@16).

When I run our application in debug mode and it crasches in say cvirte.dll, it says no stack trace available. Using the map file to try and pinpoint what function in the runtime library, that crasches, does not help me to pinpoint where the call came from in our application code.

So my first question is if there is a way to generate a stack trace when the application crasches in the runtime library.

I have manged to get a crash dump file from DrWatson when running our application, so my second question is how to analyze this file with, say WinDBG? Where do I find the symbol files that is needed in WinDBG?I read online(https://decibel.ni.com/content/people/nickb/blog/2009/06/10/generating-crash-dumps-for-analysis-by-n... that NI can do this analysis using the dump file and the map file. I have sent them to NI, but it would be nice to be able to do that analysis in-house at my company, because that would save a lot of time.

All and any help is appreciated because this problem has halted the development of our application.

Best regards,

ChristianG.

(Software eng. Gambro Medical Devices, Sweden).

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,648 Views)

Hi Christian,

Currently, we do not publicly provide the debug symbols necessary for crashes that occur in cvirte.dll. This is an NI policy designed to protect our intellectual property.

However, we are willing to help you debug the crash you have seen. The Applications Engineer you have been working with will be contacting you for more information. But in the meantime, if you could send him what information you have currently, that will expidite this process. Also, it is often not enough information for us to know where the crash occurred, so any work you can do to narrow down your code and the problem will help us find a quicker solution. Since you have limited debug information right now, I would suggest logging information to the console to find which function in your code is causing the problem. We typically have the quickest results if you can reproduce the issue in a simple example that you can send us.

Because this problem is likely specific to your application, we can address this offline for now through the Applications Engineer you have been working with.

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,638 Views)