From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabWindows 2006 no ViInt64 ViReal64

So I downloaded some keysight drivers which I am planning on controlling via GPIB.  I am using LabWindows and was not able to build because ViInt64 and ViReal64 are not variable types.  I was able to get it to build by using the following...

//TODO Changed to ViInt32 bit value
//ViStatus _VI_FUNC AgN67xx_viWrite ( ViSession Vi, ViInt64 Count, ViChar Buffer[], ViInt64* ReturnCount );
//ViStatus _VI_FUNC AgN67xx_viRead ( ViSession Vi, ViInt64 BufferSize, ViChar Buffer[], ViInt64* ReturnCount );
ViStatus _VI_FUNC AgN67xx_viWrite ( ViSession Vi, ViInt32 Count, ViChar Buffer[], ViInt32* ReturnCount );
ViStatus _VI_FUNC AgN67xx_viRead ( ViSession Vi, ViInt32 BufferSize, ViChar Buffer[], ViInt32* ReturnCount );

I just replaced the ViInt64's with ViInt32's in the header.  Is this going to cause me a problem?  I'm not sure I even need this functions but they may be used internally in the driver set?

Appreciate your assistance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,980 Views)

Hey zaius,

You should be alright with your current configuration, you just have to keep in mind ViInt32 will give a 32-bit integer as opposed to a 64-bit one. If you would like to use ViInt64, you'll need to upgrade to a newer version of LabWindows/CVI, as discussed in this article. Hope this helps.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/B87AB02F9B3E043E862576800055CC02

Paul C
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,952 Views)

Thanks for the input sir.  I'm a EE recently thrown into the software world.  What about driver implementation needs a 64 bit integer? 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,938 Views)

If you were using 64-bit integers on a 32-bit machine, then that means it would take two CPU process cycles for the 64-bit integer to be operated on. This comes from the natural abilities of a 32-bit vs 64-bit computer. Higher bitness can give higher resolution integers and there are some memory improvements from using a 64-bit computer as well. You can check out this article for some more details on 64 vs 32-bit operating systems.

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/5709/en/

Paul C
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,904 Views)