From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lab windows GUI and NI Labview RT Module Application Interaction

Hi All,

I have a developed a Real time application using Ni Labview. In this I have developed a GUI using NI Labview and RT Module in Labview. 

Iam able to read and write data from HOST PC GUI to the RT Module applications. I am exchanging the data between GUI and RT Module using the shared variables.

Now I want to recrate the GUI using the Labwindows. I still want to use the RT application developed in NI Labview.

So Previously GUI was build in Labview and RT Application running on RT Target is also built in NI Lab view.

Now I want to Create the GUI in NI Lab Windows CVI and still use the RT Application build in NI Labview.

Is it Possible to do it. 

Can any provide any links.

Waiting for your replies.

Ramesh.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,851 Views)

Communications between CVI and LabVIEW using network variables is indeed possible: I have never used LVRT till now but environments are built in such a manner that it is possible as well.

You may start running Distributed System Manager on the PC that is inteded to run the CVI app and see if the RT system is listed and its variables can be seen: you may need to appropriately configure your network and the firewall(s) to achieve the communications between the systems (see the related document linked later). Once the communication is established and variables can be seen in the PC, you may see them in a CVI app as well.

Look at this community example for a sample project that interconnects a LV program with a CVI one.

Useful links about the use of network / shared variables in CVI are the following:

Network Variable Technical Overview

Comparison of LabWindows/CVI Network Variable Connection Types

And a link on the network configuration:

Configuring Software and Hardware Firewalls to Support National Instruments Products

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(3,833 Views)