cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with the 'Variables and Call Stack' window: Options / Interpret As

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello NI,

I found a way to launch the LabWindows/CVI JIT-debugger on CVI itself... Smiley Wink

This is the procedure:

1. I set a breakpoint, run the code, and at the breakpoint I open the 'Variables and Call Stack' window by right-clicking on a variable and selecting 'View Variable View'.
  2. On any variable shown, I right-click and Choose Options / Interpret As
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,128 Views)

Is this issue related to CVI2013? I sometimes use this feature and have never had problems up to release 2013SP1.

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(4,125 Views)

Roberto, I am sorry, I can't tell... after upgrading to CVI2013 this is my only version...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,123 Views)

OK, let's see if somebody else can comment on this.

I haven't yet upgraded to 2013 (and looking at all the observations you are posting on that, I suppose I will wait for SP1 release! Smiley Wink )

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(4,117 Views)

Wolfgang,

How easy is it for you to reproduce this? Can you reproduce it with a simple shipping example?

For example, in 2013 I've just put a breakpoint in line 40 of samples\userint\2yaxis.c and then invoked Interpret As on the hmainPanel variable, changed it to a void * and it worked fine. So I'm wondering if it only crashes when some other factor is thrown into the mix.

Luis

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,106 Views)

I'll try...Smiley Wink I can reproduce it with the same project on different computers (and OS), so I would exclude data/file corruption. I cannot reproduce it (yet) with simple CVI samples.

But you have my slow compiling project, you can use that... I suspect that you need a certain amount of variables.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,097 Views)

Hi Luis,

I spent an hour but saved your time Smiley Wink: I have prepared a VERY much simplified demo, and it turns out that the JIT debugger is due to the function prototype

void ( *MathFitFunction ) ( double * );

If you remove it everything behaves properly.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,082 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Wolfgang

You're right, I've now been able to reproduce it as well. It seems as if the presence of any function pointer, whether initialized or not, causes Interpret As to crash the debugger. The ADE doesn't seem to be affected, but you will probably need to restart your debugging session when this happens.

I've created bug report 425151.

I really appreciate the time you spent narrowing this down for me. Thank you!

Luis

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(4,077 Views)

Well, we all appreciate your great support and bug fixes... Muito obrigado!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,071 Views)

Bitte sehr!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,069 Views)