Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is "Speech 5.1 SDK" CVI compatible ?

I'm looking how to implement a text-to-speak module in my CVI
application (just to have voice alarms messages as the operator can't
stay looking the screen)

Just to know: does someone tried the "Speech SDK" from microsoft
(htt://www.microsoft.com/speech/) with CVI ?
Is it possible to use this SDK in a CVI application ?

Thanks for help
fred.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,700 Views)
Dear Frederic,

From reading the Release Notes at the website you specified, it looks like you need to have Microsoft VisualC++ 6.0 in order to use this package.
CVI is compatible with VC++ but only at the compiler level. This means that VC++ can use CVI's code, but the opposite is not always true. If the Speeck SDK comes as a set of libraries that can be called from a C compiler, then you are all set.

Regards,

Azucena Perez
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,700 Views)
This post is in addition to what Azucena was saying.

Actually the MS Speech SDK v5.1 does not require you to have VC++. On the other hand, what Azucena said about the requirement of having a library built with C linkage in order to use the functions of the SDK in CVI was correct. Fortunately, there is actually a better (in some people's opinions) way of interacting with the Speech SDK that is new to v5.1, and that is through ActiveX Automation.

The MS Speech SDK v5.1 is an ActiveX Automation Server (a new feature to v5.1) in which you can create an ActiveX Automation Controller (a special function library for interacting with the server from your application) for in CVI. Just go to the Project window's Tools >> Create ActiveX Automation Controller... menu selection
to get started. The wizard that begins after making this selection will guide you through the creation process in which CVI looks at the type library (.tlb) for the Speech SDK server and lets you know what types of methods and properties are available in the server, and once you have completed the wizard you will have a new Automation Controller Instrument Driver that will be loaded into the Instrument menu of CVI automatically so that you can get to these new functions.

Now, National Instruments doesn't really provide documentation on how to use the particular functions that are in this new library because the functions within are largely dictated by the creator of the server and its type library, which in this case is Microsoft. So you should probably get to know the documentation for the Speech SDK (available at the same link where you got the SDK) to see how to interact with it appropriately. This Speech API is a very intriguing new technology and I think it is cool that you
are trying to use it in your CVI app, may you have awesome success with both CVI and the Speech SDK!

Jason F.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
www.ni.com/ask
Message 3 of 6
(3,700 Views)
Thanks for your help Jason, the "Create ActiveX Automation Controller" did
a good job and after a few days looking at the Speech SDK help and samples
files, I succeed in a little "Hello World" project ;-))

If anyone wants to work with this SDK, I would be glad to share
experience, contact me,
Fred.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,700 Views)
Hi Frderic

There is two other possibilities...

First... You can create a DLL in VC++ where all the input output for the new function are in standart C... and use the COM technology in the function you want to export... a bit long and wicky but it work...

Second... You can use "Chant Speech SDK" wich have an C/C++ interface... so linkable into CVI it work nicely but it is not free...
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,700 Views)

Hi,

i am looking at using this in my applications.

Can you share me the sample code?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ramjee V

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,012 Views)