LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

InstallComCallback not exactly working

Hi, I'm developing an app that displays data recieved from accelerometer and gyroscope via RS 232 port. Packages arrive 25 times a second, every package is closed by a '#' char which triggers the installed data-recieving function.

I've used sample CVI project (RS232 one) as a 'skeleton' for my app, and it has been working fine until I started tweaking the app to make it more user-friendly (automatic ComPort detection, warning if no data is comming, and such) and I must have somehow broken the most important function - the data is still comming fine, but one i press 'start recieving' the whole application 'freezes' (the displays still display incoming data, but it DOESNT respond to any user-interactions) - it acts as if it was using for loop, instead of even handling to recieve data. When I switch off sensors (so no more incoming data) the app un-freezes (and if I clicked anything when it was still frozen, proceeds to execute it) and then resumes to work as normal (well, sort-of normal).

At first I thought the data-recieving function takes too long to execute, therefore blocking the interface (no time for user-input between data packages), but its not the case - I have commented out (/* */) entire data processing code exept reading com port and displaying test counter, app still freezes.

I've added a LED to the main pannel which is switched on when the installed function starts, and switched off when it exits - since data arrives 25 times a second and eye recognises blinking led as static when it blinks at least 30 times a second I figured it should blink if the data-processing function executes in less than 1/25s - it does NOT blink. IDK if its software/hardware limits (its not a REAL LED, after all) OR if its the data processing function that blocks the interface, after all.

Im not so good with all those panel_handles, perhaps something here is faulty? But then, entire interface works fine until I start recieving data...

Thought it could be too long time out of the com-reading function, but the whole installed callback triggers only when it finds whole data package enclosed with '#' arrived, so timeout shouldnt matter, right?

Maybe something's wrong with port data buffors? Im out of ideas...

Any ideas on how to check, what is the cause of my problem?

Regards, Benji.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,039 Views)

Solved. Turned out it was com port time out fault after all - I didnt notice I change it to 0.05s in module testing part and apparently callback function clogged entire app waiting for whole data package.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,030 Views)