From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install Conflicts

Hi,
I have been using LabView for some projects, and it installed Measurement Studio 6.0 on my computer. I was recently handed a large number of CVI applications to maintain. They are done is LabWindows CVI 5.5. Because of the large installed base of LabWindows 5.5 in our department, and my busy schedule, it is highly undesirable migrate these apps to LabWindows 6 or 7 at this time. Therefore I installed LabWindows 5.5 on the computer in addition to the 6.0 that was already there, however when I debug applications in 5.5 it appears to be using the 6.0 run-time. How to I change this?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,486 Views)
CVI can only have one runtime engine on a machine at a time, because it resides in the Windows\System directory. The CVI 6.0 runtime engine is fully backwards compatible wtih the 5.5 version, this is how we can have mutiple versions installed at the same time. When compiling in CVI 5.5 you will not get any different output due to there being a higher runtime on your machine.

If you must have these applications build and work using only the 5.5 runtime, there is a workaround. You must install CVI 5.5 on a clean machine. Then get the cvirte.dll from the System directory. If you copy this to the application directory for all your applications that you are maintaining, then they will use that runtime.

Regards,
Jeff
NI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,486 Views)