LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

InetPing falsely returning system available

Solved!
Go to solution

I have an application where I am using InetPing to verify a network exists before performing network centric tests.  This has been working successfully, to the best of my knowledge for some time (months).  However I was just running the test and observing the performance when I noticed the function returned a success when I could clearly see the network was not yet up.  I removed the RF connection to ensure the network would not come up and the function is returning the network device is available about 1 in four of five attempts.  What is going on with this function that would cause this sort of problem?

Thank you...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(4,565 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author tfelber
So I believe I found the issue.  I re-implemented my code using the MSSDK IcmpEchoSend and found it would receive a response, however the response had an error code associated with it of 11003 which is a WSANO_RECOVERY error (Non-recoverable error, FORMERR, REFUSED, NOTIMP).  This error is not trapped inside the InetPing function and therfore the program was fooled into thinking it was successful.  Using IcmpEchoSend these and other types of errors can be trapped and handled accordingly...
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(4,556 Views)
This issue is known and will be fixed in a future release of CVI.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(4,528 Views)

Hi Mohan,

I haven't found this issue in the 'LabWindows/CVI 2009 Known Issues' list (http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/11438)...

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(4,527 Views)

Hey Wolfgang,

We have only just recently found out about this issue - too recently for me to have gotten it into the list.  It will be there on my next revision. 

NickB

National Instruments 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(4,517 Views)

Hi Nick,

Thanks! Let me add the suggestion to display the date of the last revision to the list. This way a visitor might see if there are new entries.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(4,513 Views)

Hey Wolfgang - 

It's already there - just down at the bottom and easy to miss...

updated.png

NickB

National Instruments 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(4,511 Views)
ah, nice! I'll have to use my glasses next time 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(4,509 Views)

Hello Mohan

I'm not able to find the ID of this bug and/or check if it has been fixed in some CVI release.

Could you provide this info, please?

Vix
-------------------------------------------
In claris non fit interpretatio

-------------------------------------------
Using LV from 7
Using LW/CVI from 6.0
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(3,828 Views)

Looking at this: http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/12156/en/

It seems to have been resolved with LabWindows/CVI 2009 SP1