LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ineffective debugger

Hello,

I wonder why the CVI 2012/2013 debugger is less efficient than previous versions.

Indeed, it is impossible to see at once wide data array, contrary to what was possible before. In addition the debugger is very slow now.
Will it be corrected in future versions of CVI ?

Best regards.

Smiley Frustrated

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,321 Views)

Hello, Domp!

As of LabWindows/CVI 2013, the CVI debugger underwent several architectural changes. The debugger itself is now separated from the LabWindows/CVI ADE, as a stand-alone process. Although this change brings several advantages (e.g. prevents the ADE from crashing, when exceptions bring the debugger down), this could have also influenced the performance of the new debugger.

In order to be able to view large arrays, you should use the Data Slice feature of the Array Display window. This should ensure that you should at least be able to view a specific window of data from the array itself.

Do you have other specific examples/cases in you consider that the CVI debugger has performance issues?

Best regards,

- Johannes 🐵

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,311 Views)

Hello Johannes,

In fact the new debugger it quite slow to load a large amount of data. Sometimes I need to find a particular point in a large array of data without knowing it's position in the array. With this new debugger it's not very convenient to load one by one each slice of data to find the desired point.

I think I will uninstall CVI 2013 to install CVI 2011 to avoid this problem I often meet.
After that I think i will stop buying new SSP.

Best regards.

Smiley Frustrated

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,306 Views)