From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove (uninstall) NI software completely?

Is there a way remove every bit of NI software from a computer?

The Windows uninstall application apparently leaves NI artifacts behind. Even though no NI software remains in the list of installed programs the next time I try to install NI software the NI installer recognizes that some pieces are already there. I get messages saying a newer version is already installed. Then the installation fails.

Will I have to reinstall the entire system to clean it up?

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(31,495 Views)

The procedure to completely remove NI software from the system is described in this post.

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community

Roberto,

I read the procedure. It's pretty complicated and hasn't been updated to address Windows 7 specifically.

Since I have a deep and abiding fear of the registry I may prefer to format the drive and start over. Even though it means reinstalling a ton of other stuff I don't want NI ghosts haunting me in the future.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion of how messy the process is.

PS: Shouldn't professional software clean up after itself?  In most neighborhoods people are required to remove any poop their pet leaves on someone's lawn. Smiley Mad

Message 3 of 5
(31,487 Views)
I must admit that I never had to uninstall completely NI software from my system so I have no experience on this. I have found this knowledgebase entry that appears more up to date than that old forum post: maybe it can be of help for your situation: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/AC6ED75D3D93375686256E8E00245F0D

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(31,481 Views)

Roberto,

Thank you. You have helped me many times, always with well considered responses.

I tried the Windows Add/Remove Program utility as shown in the last link you provided. It doesn't seem to clean up all traces of NI software however. Subsequent installations seem to recognize that NI software has been installed previously.

david

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(31,440 Views)