LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make the application "portable"?

Hi all!

I'm looking for a solution to make my application portable, so it can run from a USB stick or even from disc, without the need of a installation.

In former versions of CVI, there was button in the installer wizard to keep all the necessary dll's etc. inside the installation folder. So it was possible to install the application to an USB stick and run it on every PC without the need of an installation.

This button seems to be gone. Sadly!!

How can I find out what dll's are needed to run the executable and where they are? Maybe it will work if I copy the depending dll's manualy into the application folder.

Regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,294 Views)

I don't know how recent versions of Windows handle DLLs but it used to be possible to simply manually copy the DLLs in the same folder. Simply run your exe, when it complains about a missing DLL, add it and try again until it works.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,287 Views)

That was my first idea. I started a plain virtual Win7 and run the executable, but it complains with a message box "Wrong side-by-side configuration" or something similar. I think this comes from the Visual c++ Redistributable. My hope is fading away...

Regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,284 Views)

Thomas,

If you are using static linking, I think CVI already adds related DLLs into your deployment package.

It is still in the wizard. Not as a separate button, but disguised as a file item in the file list.

"Wrong side-by-side configuration" is an error I also encountered recently.

But it was never related with CVI.

It was a Visual Studio executable written by someone else and I could not solve the problem.

My solution was to write a CVI application doing the same thing and getting rid of the other one 😉

S. Eren BALCI
IMESTEK
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,271 Views)

@ebalci wrote:

Thomas,

If you are using static linking, I think CVI already adds related DLLs into your deployment package.

It is still in the wizard. Not as a separate button, but disguised as a file item in the file list.

Hmm, in the file list there is an entry named "...DLL Dependencies" with a size of 0KB, but I couldn't find out how to activate this entry.

Do you know how?

Regards,

Thomas

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,248 Views)