LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to count pulses over a specified time interval?

My USB-6259 has various ways to count pulses but none (that I can find) to count pulses over a specified time period. I have a LabVIEW program that supposedly does this but it's Greek to me. The description of the LabVIEW VI says it uses two counters; one to generate a pulse whose width represents the desired time period over which counting is to occur.  The second counter counts pulses in the input signal over the time period created by the pulse from first counter. Do any of you know of a CVI example that does this?

I could also accomplish my objective using the "two-counter, wide frequency range" counter type but there's a problem at low frequencies. This is a standard type of counter that is easily configured in MAX, or using the CVI assistant. Trouble is, there's no time-out capability. If the input signal contains infrequent pulses then DAQmx waits forever for pulses to come along (or a counter register overflows). If there was a way to cause the counting attempt to stop after say one millisecond I'd be in business.

Any recommendations?

thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,898 Views)

This thread could possibly give you some hints.

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community

@RobertoBozzolo wrote:

This thread could possibly give you some hints.

Thanks Roberto. You consistently provide relevant and timely responses. In fact, I wonder if you're a real person. Is your name an alias for "Watson"?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,879 Views)

Smiley Embarassed

You're welcome!

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(3,876 Views)