LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Install a DNS for SQL Toolkit as part of my Application

Hello,

I would like to automate a DNS configuration as part of an installer package for my application.

We are using the SQL Toolkit. According to the instructions, there is an example sqldistsupp program that installs a NI example DNS.

But I haven't been able to find any further details or instructions on how this program works, or how to modify it to do a custom DNS install.

Is there a process by which I can automate CVI installer package to automatically configure a DNS connection through the Windows ODBC for a Microsoft or MySQL DNS connection?

Thank you very much

Veni Vidi Duci
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,482 Views)

The manual does not state how sqldistsupp works.

Or how to customize the DNS file.

What the tags are? What's the order of the tags? How tags vary from driver to driver in the ODBC?

What's supported?

So reading this is not helpful.

Veni Vidi Duci
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,473 Views)

@DB_IQ wrote:

The manual does not state how sqldistsupp works.

Or how to customize the DNS file.

What the tags are? What's the order of the tags? How tags vary from driver to driver in the ODBC?

What's supported?

So reading this is not helpful.

Those "Tags" are ODBC/ADO driver specific. No single documentation in the world could document them all for all possible database ODBC drivers. The most pragmatic way to find out about those is reading the according documentation for the database driver you intend to use and also do some experimenting with the configuration of that driver in the ODBC Administrator. Basically the ODBC Administrator plugin for the database in question writes those "Tags" into the registry. By examining those registry settings after you experimented with the configuration, you can determine the necessary information.

Incidentially the SQL Open Connection also has a variant where you can pass in a connection string. This connection string is simply a concatenation of the settings from the registry. If you want to learn more about that you just google "ODCB connection string" and you will find hundreds of sites which all list all kinds of examples and lists about different connection strings. Just expect them to be not all up to date, as new database versions tend to add new options and sometimes even change the meaning of some existing settings.

Maintaining such a list is a completely hopeless exercise, that is why there exist so many on the web. From many people who set out to create the next ultimate list and then after some initial effort quickly recognized the hopelessness of such an endeavour.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,404 Views)