LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How pass VISA resource string from C++ as uintptr_t* to a LabVIEW generated DLL ?

My coworker build a DLL from LabVIEW that I am trying to call from C++.

void__cdeclMeasureDCvolts(uintptr_t*VISAResourceName, int32_tChannelNumber,LVBoolean*MonitorResult,double*MeasuredVoltage, TD1*errorOut);

Does "extcode.h" define macros or functions for string conversions?  Or should I request my coworker rebuild the VI's to make arguments more C/C++ friendly?

Thanks in advance for any tips or direction.  Examples are * much * appreciated.

-Ed

TestObjectMeasurement* testObjectMeasurement = m_measurementMap[name];
TestObjectInstrument* testObjectInstrument = m_instrumentMap[selectedInstrumentName];
int slot = 1;
int bank = 1;
int channel = 1;
int channelNumber = 1000 * slot + channel;

char * visaResourceName = testObjectInstrument->visaResourceName().toLatin1().data();

LVBoolean monitorResult = LVBooleanFalse;
double measuredVoltage = -1.0;
TD1 errorOut = {0};

try
{
// void __cdecl MeasureDCvolts(uintptr_t *VISAResourceName,
// int32_t ChannelNumber, LVBoolean *MonitorResult, double *MeasuredVoltage,
// TD1 *errorOut);
MeasureDCvolts(reinterpret_cast<uintptr_t*>(visaResourceName), channelNumber, &monitorResult, &measuredVoltage, &errorOut);
}
catch(...)
{
qDebug() << "Exception thrown by: MeasureDCvolts";
}

QString errorSource = QString::fromUtf8(reinterpret_cast<const char*>(LHStrBuf(errorOut.source)), LHStrLen(errorOut.source));
qDebug() << errorSource;

LStrHandle errorTextHandle = {0};
bool foundErrorText = NIGetOneErrorCode(errorOut.code, &errorTextHandle);
if(foundErrorText)
{
QString errorText = QString::fromUtf8(reinterpret_cast<const char*>(LHStrBuf(errorTextHandle)), LHStrLen(errorTextHandle));
MessageHelper::messageError(errorText, errorSource);
}

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,466 Views)

crosspost

relevant thread that the forum search easily could have provided using some of the words in the topic title

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,458 Views)
I know how to search . I read that before posting. Not a solution. Thank you for your "kind" help.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,453 Views)

Why is it not a solution? It was exactly about what you wanted to do and the solution in the last post is how it can be made to work. There is NO way to ddirectly create a LabVIEW native VISA resource in C code that is not called from within LabVIEW, unless you consider hacking the LabVIEW system and using undocumented functions a solution. But that has very good chances of breaking with future LabVIEW versions.

Your only other option is to export another function from the DLL that accepts a String and uses VISA Open to explicitedly open the VISA session in your LabVIEW DLL and returning that VISA session to your C code. This is functionally equivalent to passing a String to your current function but avoids the lookup and potential recreation of the VISA refnum on each call. Something I would only feel bothered if you intend to call this function many thousend times each second, which for VISA communication seems very unlikely.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,443 Views)