LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get the Driver Factory program to recognize the installation of LabWindows/CVI?

My desired goal is to have a DLL specifically for a PCI-MIO-16XE-10 DAQ card so I can develope testing apps in a VB enviroment. From the documentation, I was told that I need to use the Instrument Driver Factory to to create such a DLL. I installed the LabWindows/CVI software, the ComponentWorks for VB, the DAQ 6.9.3 software, and finally the hardware in that order. When starting the IDF program a warning message tells me that it needs a LabWindows/CVI installation greater than 5.0 and 5.5 is already installed. Am I doing something wrong or is this not the way I to create a DLL for use in VB testing applications?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,834 Views)
Hello,

You do not need the driver factory to use a DAQ board. The driver factory is for use with specific CVI drivers for other vendors instruments. A DAQ board will work best though the DAQ ActiveX control that gets installed with ComponentWorks. If you right click on the toolbox in VB and select Add... you will see many National instruments Controls. Add the DAQ ones (AI, AO, Digital, Counter, etc.). Then you can drop these on your form and use them directly with your board. They are much better and have an event driven interface for working with Data Acquisition.

Note: This all assumes you are using VB6, if you are using VB.NET you should get a newer Measurement Studio with Visual Studio .NET support.

Jeff
NI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,834 Views)
Hi,

There are also a bunch of examples for VB that install with the driver, you should be able to find then in the C:\Program Files\National Instruments daq folder.

You can also find some more advanced examples on the web at http://www.ni.com/examples examples are a fast way of getting started and reuse some code.

good luck with your project.

Juan Carlos
N.I.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,834 Views)
Yes I am aware of the built in ActiveX controls however what I'm trying to do is a bit more primative. I simply need a DLL the has all the procedures applicable to this DAQ board so I can call them in custom VB applications. I have assumed that a driver/API with such functions exists and I have read from the documents that a DLL can be created from this. In other words I want to make my own controls and have low-level access to DAQ procedures Is this the wrong way to do this task.

In the past with third party equipment such a DLL was already provided and custom software was developed.

~Steve
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,834 Views)
You can use either the ACtiveX control to create your own controls (an ActiveX control is basically a DLL with COM support and a UI interface for design time) or the provided DAQ DLL. The ActiveX control is a much easier route, as I stated it has event driven support and visual design time support.

The DLL can be found wherever you installed the DAQ driver, usually under [Program Files]\National Instruments\DAQ\VB or VB support. If you did not select Visual Basic support when you installed the DAQ driver it may not have been installed (then you would need to do a modify on the DAQ driver installer). We also supply a BAS file for use in Visual Basic to make using our functions easier directly from the DLL.

Hopefully this helps you. I
would like to know why you don't want to use the ActiveX control? It can be used to create your own custom controls, you just have to distribute the OCX as well as the DLL (which you have to distribute anyway). There are no royalties associated with distributing this OCX, and it will typically make your development time much less.

Jeff
NI
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,834 Views)
Ahh. Yes I found the .bas files and now I know where the dll is. Thankyou. I was was mislead from the documents and thought that I need to generate such files.

Well we are not using the controls mainly cause they aren't free and many of the indviduals that work with our testing apps are opposed to fancier, more sophisticated apps. Additionally, we do not intend to distribute anything. This is simply for our own testing.

Perhaps in the future I may attempt to revamp all of our old test apps, but right now my boss and a few others are not sold on the change.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,834 Views)