LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Understanding Datasocket

I need some help to determine if Datasocket would be the way to go for my app. I have a flash programming station, 1 master pc and 6 slaves. The master takes in a ini file and barcode and writes a batch file. This batch file then needs to be transferred to the slaves and executed. The old way of doing this was to write the file to a shared ramdrive but that was VB app. I am rewriting this app in CVI6.0 and wanted to use TCP/IP library. I have the master setup as a server with six ports and when the slaves connect I want to copy the file to them. I know I can write the file to a string and use the clientTCPWrite and then remake the file from the buffer on the slave side. Is there an easier way to do this with Datasocket, I looked at the ex
ample and I am not sure how to apply this to my app.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,617 Views)
Hi,

I definitely see DataSocket as a good option for you here. You could setup a numeric connection where the clients could check if there are any updates ready. Then you can have another text connection to send the data file and hav the cliets save that file. DataSocket will save you some time of handling, ports, connections, data types, errors, etc... It is an easier interface to TPC programming.

There is also the option of using FTP. DataSocket can perform FTP transmissions; if you set a simple FTP server on each client machine (Windows 2000 /XP have a built in FTP server), the server could use DataSocket to place the files in the FTP space without having to do ANY programming in the client side.

I hope this helps you get started.

Regards,
Juan Carl
os
N.I.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,616 Views)