LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have a user sort things ... in PowerPoint (?)

I need to let users of my app sort things on-screen, just like one does in PowerPoint in the "slide sorter" view. The things to be sorted are essentially small paragraphs of text. (i.e. They must re-order the paragraphs, intact.)

Any advice on whether I should try to do this by putting the elements into PowerPoint via ActiveX and have them sort it there, or whether I should build my own panel and manage the sorting mechanics myself?

PowerPoint is quite flexible in terms of screen size, aspect ratio, resolution, etc. but provides users ample opportunity to mangle things or get lost in PowerPoint. Are there ways to lock it down via ActiveX to prevent editing of slides?

Conversely, if I build it myself, any advice on cleve
r ways to achieve the flexibility to accomodate various screen resolutions and aspect ratios? (e.g. on a wide screen, show 3 rows of 5 objects, but on a regular one show 4x4?) It all seems doable - just rather a lot of tedious programming, but with an end result that may be a bit inflexible, and perhaps kludgy-looking relative to the PowerPoint slide sorter.

Or has anyone already created such a sorter in CVI? If so, let's talk!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,571 Views)
Hi,

I think I have a good idea for you, it's not exactly like the slide sorter, but it should be fairly easy to implement. CVI's tree control allow the user to organize the items and move them around; you could have a tree control where you show the "titles" of the paragraphs and a "preview" text box where you show the currently selected paragraph. The things to catch here would be not to allow the user to move the items as a child item. Besides from that I think this should be one of the easiest implementations. I'm including here a small UIR.

Another thing that would be fairly easy to implement is something along what CVI uses for setting tab order. You click on the paragraphs and the order you click on them is the order that they get assigned.

The Power
Point idea I believe is a bit of overkill, now every user is forced to have that specific version of PowerPoint installed. You could look for some other Microsoft ActiveX control that has a useful interface.

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Juan Carlos
N.I.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,571 Views)