LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generating browse info

Solved!
Go to solution

I do like the new feature of the 'Functions in file' ring control. I also like the fact that there is a status information telling me that/when this browse information is generated.

However, I am wondering why this has to happen every time I load a project - for large files this generation process may take quite some time. Is there a setting to have this information saved in the project / workspace?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,593 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Wolfgang

There is not currently an option to save the browse info as part of the workspace or project. However, you can configure how often and when the browse info is generated. In the Environment Options, you can configure the browse info to be generated on save, compile, edit, or disable it.

National Instruments
Message 2 of 5
(4,571 Views)

It turns out that browse information is also generated when switching from Debug to Debug64 (or to Release) and vice versa - even if it is configured to generate it on save only... 

It seems superfluous as nothing in the code changes.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,486 Views)

Different configurations (Debug vs. Debug64) imply different build options, different preprocessor flags, etc. The browse info depends heavily on compilation -- essentially, in other to update the browse info your files are being almost-compiled while you type.

The same thing would have been the case in 2012, except that because the browse info was only generated during compilation, and so you would not have noticed this dependency before.

By the way, generating browse info in the background is supposed to be an unintrusive operation which should not impact whatever you happen to be doing at the time. It shouldn't block the ADE nor make it unresponsive in any way. Are you finding that that's not the case?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,478 Views)

Hi Luis,

thanks! For me, browse info simply meant generating the list of variable and function names (the latter is new to CVI2013), i.e. assigning a name to a line number, and thus it was unclear why this list should be affected by build options...

No, don't worry, the IDE is not blocked and behaving properly Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,468 Views)