From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPIB timeout

Any one know how to change gpib timeout? When I send a command to a
instrument and it doesn't reply, it seems the default timeout is 10sec.
I want to lower it.

vishi
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,907 Views)
Found it, it is ibconfig or ibtmo. Now how do I use these functions. I
only want to change timeout for 1 of the GPIB devices. I am using CVI
and instrument drivers from the mfg.

vishi

Vishi Anand wrote:
> Any one know how to change gpib timeout? When I send a command to a
> instrument and it doesn't reply, it seems the default timeout is 10sec.
> I want to lower it.
>
>
> vishi
>
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,907 Views)
Vishi,

The IBTMO function is fine for what you want to do, though the IBDEV call that already exists in your program could also be modified to set the timeout when the device is opened. There is a good function reference help file installed with 488.2 for Windows off your start menu: look in Program Files -> National Instruments -> NI-488.2 -> NI-488.2 Help. If you look up the topic IBDEV or IBTMO you can find out exactly what these functions do.

Your instrument driver is probably already making an IBDEV call to get a unit descriptor for future communication to your device. The 4th parameter to the IBDEV call is probably something like 13 or the T10s constant #define, which means 10 seconds. You can set other timeout values according to the table und
er the topic "Timeout Code Values", from 10usec up to 1000sec at varying increments.

Scott
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,907 Views)