LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Functions in File

Solved!
Go to solution

1) I have tried finding a description in the help using the tooltip text displayed for this ring popup, i.e. Functions in File. No success, neither index nor search. Since many years I am asking for an improved help - until now the 'help' search only succeeds if you hit the exact term...

2) Functions in File only seems to work for source code files that have been added to the project - if I (temporarily) load a source file into a project the ring is not populated. According to the release notes it should: "LabWindows/CVI creates source code browse information for functions that are declared
even if they are not called in the project." And even if I misunderstood the release notes: it should... Environment setting On edit / on compile does not make a difference.

By the way, any hope for a SP?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,402 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang,

Sorry about the crappy experience when searching the help. Unfortunately, that's largely out of NI's control since the help viewer is a Microsoft product. Well, not completely outside of NI's control, since NI will eventually switch to some other help format other than .chm, which wouldn't require the use of that viewer. But that's a significant change that affects all NI products, not just CVI, and it's not a simple thing to do in the short term.

Having said that, although the search has many limitations, it should allow you to do partial searches. For example, if I search for "browsing", it finds topics with "browse".

In any case, you wouldn't find more information about the "Functions in File" control in the help. Unfortunately, the ADE help is primarily organized by window/section, and the section that that control is a part of (the toolbar) does not have any help associated with it. But I agree with you that, unlike other controls in the toolbar, the behavior of that control isn't completely obvious, and so somewhere else in the table of contents there should probably be some help associated with it.

That function list does not include functions defined in files that are not in the project. The sentence that you quoted from the release notes ("LabWindows/CVI creates source code browse information for functions that are declared even if they are not called in the project") does not really mean what you think it does. That sentence is referring to a change in behavior between 2012 and 2013: in 2012, if you add just a prototype of a function to your source code, but never define the function, it is not included in the source code browser. In 2013, however, it is included.

A service pack is expected to be released very soon, sometime in the next few days.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,371 Views)

By the way, I just noticed your reference to the "Generate browse information policy" environment option. You do have a point, in that the description for the "On edit" option isn't very clear in this matter, and so we're now changing the first sentence to read "LabWindows/CVI generates source code browse information when a project file is being edited".

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,367 Views)

Thank you very much, Luis!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,356 Views)

@LuisG wrote:

That function list does not include functions defined in files that are not in the project.

Hi Luis,

is there a reason for this limitation? I mean, the ring is populated dynamically so it shouldn't make a difference if the ring has to be populated from a file in the project or from a different source file...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,346 Views)

The reason has to do with the background compilation that needs to take place in order to populate that ring. CVI cannot compile non-project files, since many of the project settings are inputs to the compilation. Also, the file that you have open might not even be a .c file. It could be some random text file -- even if in your case it's not. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 7
(4,328 Views)

I see, thank you for the explanation!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(4,316 Views)