cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding "USB to RS232" resources list

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I'm wondering how to get the "USB to RS232" device name, description and serial number, as NiMAX is able to do (please see the attached image NiMAX-USB-232.jpg).

Using the viFindRsrc function (as in FindRsrc_CVI.cws example) I get the resource name only: "ASRLxx::INSTR" (viFindRsrc.jpg attachment).

Thank you for any suggestion.

Sergio

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(5,722 Views)

Hi,

thanks fot the images, the problem seems ot be a missing driver like NI-SERIAL. What is the device that you use?

Best Regards

Mario

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(5,652 Views)

HI Mario,

I have NISERIAL installed, the device is NI USB-232/4 and everything is working ok.

My question is, how can I get its name and description as NIMAX does?

I'd like to develop a program that, looking at the VISA resources present in my computer, is able to find the resource name and description in addition to the information that viFindRsrc gives me (i.e. ASRL14::INSTR).

In other words, "ASRL14::INSTR" is not what I'm looking for, the information I'd like having is: NI USB-232/4 Interface "RS-232 SN:012EA3E9".

Do you have any idea about which CVI function I'd have to call and with which parameters?

Thank you and best regards

Sergio

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(5,650 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(5,635 Views)

THe link provided gives me an error:

HTTP Web Server: Lotus Notes Exception - Entry not found in index

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(5,628 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(5,624 Views)

Hi nyc,

unfortunately the link you provided and the related links, are all proposing solutions for LabView, while I was looking for a LabWindows CVI solution.

Thank you anyhow!

Best regards

Sergio

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(5,616 Views)

Hi, this is just a temptative suggestion as I have not used these functions before. I am now starting a project with some cDAQ chassis and while searching for a way to inform the user of the installed modules I came across NI SystemConfiguration utility. This tool provides an instrument driver (NISysCfg.fp) located in shared\cvi\bin folder.

I see in the function help that you can set a filter so that it addresses all hardware that provides serial bus type: this way you could get a list of resources and possibly find there what you are looking for.

I cannot test in your situation since I haven't your hardware and I have not yet started to code my application, but I tought this idea could worth a try.

I have just found this example that uses NI ModInst in CVI to obtain informations on hardware. Unfortunately it refers to resources I have not installed in my system (specifically the library located in Program Files (x86)\IVI Foundation\IVI folder): if you happen to have this library installed then this example can be of help. You can pair this example project with the informations in the document provided by nyc to get what you want.

(5,604 Views)

Hi Roberto,

thanks, this could be an interesting opportunity to fix my problem. I'll investigate this solution asap.

Best regards

Sergio

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(5,596 Views)