LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FileSelectPopupEx default file spec longer file name not displaying

2013 SP2

If you specify a "Default File Spec" name that is longer than 10 characters plus a 3 character '.' extension, the filename displayed is missing characters posistions 11 and up, i.e. if the file name passed is "abcdefg0987654321.ext" only "0987654321.ext" gets displayed. The full text is there but you have to go in and cursor to the left to get the upper part of the file name to display.

This only seems to affect FileSelectPopupEx not the superseded FileSelectPopup function.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(5,281 Views)

Hi Tim,

I'm not sure if this is expected behavior or not, but this sounds like a good post for our LabVIEW idea exchange!

You can find it here: http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/idb-p/labviewideas

Casey B.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(5,262 Views)

Like I said, it seems to work just fine in the superseded function FileSelectPopup so I'm pretty sure it is a bug. The file name field is many times wider than needed to display the file name I'm sending in. Seems pretty odd how it is randomly pushing the string out the left side of the file name field.

This is in Labwindows/CVI 2013 SP2. I'm not a LabView user so I'm not sure if they share libraries.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(5,258 Views)

They do share libraries as long as you have support for that library installed for the program. (Found during install or repair of NI software).

I can pass along your concerns to R&D, but they also monitor our idea exchange forums and I encourage you to post them there.

The LabWindows CVI idea exchange can be found here: http://forums.ni.com/t5/ideas/v2/ideaexchangepage/blog-id/cviideas

Casey B.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(5,255 Views)

Actually Tim I looked into this further and I'll be attempting to recreate the issue and possilby file a CAR.

Would you be able to elaborate on the lines of code that cause this?

Paste in a code snippet perhaps?

Thanks,

CB

Casey B.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(5,240 Views)

char pn[MAX_PATHNAME_LEN];
FileSelectPopupEx ("", "abcdefg0987654321.csv", "*.csv", "File root name > 10 characters", VAL_LOAD_BUTTON, 0, 0, pn);

See attached for capture of popup window. I just added the above lines to a from scratch Labwindows/CVI UI project to make sure that it wasn't something else I was doing.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(5,230 Views)

Hi Tim,

I was unable to replicate your issue on my own.

Can you upload your simple test project here so that I can run it on my machine? Make sure to include the whole project please.

Thanks!

Casey B.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(5,216 Views)

Hello HeisenBerger15,

I have used the Interactive Execution window (CVI 2013 SP2) with the following code:

#include <userint.h>
static char pathname[MAX_PATHNAME_LEN];
FileSelectPopupEx ("", "abcdefg0987654321.csv", "*.csv", "File", VAL_LOAD_BUTTON, 0, 0, pathname);

I was able to observe the reported behavior.

One obtains the full file name if the focus is temporarily changed.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(5,201 Views)

Hi Casey,

I've attached a zip of a simple project.

Wolfgang is right. If you change focus away and back again to the FileSelectPopupEx popup window is another way of getting the full file name to display. 

Wolfgang, never knew about the Interactive Execution window, thanks. Took a while to find it (Help doesn't tell you where it is). Of course it was hiding in plain site at the bottom of the "Windows" menu 8^).

Tim

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(5,184 Views)

Wolfgang and Tim,

Thanks for reminding me of the Interactive Execution Window. That made it super easy to reproduce.

I've filed a CAR on this, number is 533637. Please check the Release Notes in future patches or releases of this software for this number to verify if it has been addressed.

Casey B.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(5,177 Views)