LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FileExists() to take into account letters in Caps?

Hi,

I am using this function FileExists(&file_name,0) and would like to know if there is a way to make it take into account capital letters as well? For exaple file names file1 and File1 should not return FileExists as positive. 

Thank you!!

Sinnas

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,527 Views)

The source code of FileExists is in toolbox.c, so you could inspect and adapt it (in a copy...)

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,523 Views)

Oh ok thanks Wolfgang.. it doesnt seem possible though as it only looks for size of the file not characters. 

Thanks anyway!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,519 Views)

Actually I did not understand your original problem, but are you aware of the ANSI function tolower() ?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,515 Views)

Yes i am aware but what im am looking for is for my application to distinguish between C:\Appli\file1 and C:\Appli\File1;

The application will look to see if file1 exists and should not return positive value if File1 exists. 

*using ghost drives 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,513 Views)

I would assume that it depends on the file system, FAT32 isn't case sensitive so there is nothing fopen() can do... (as far as I know)

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,506 Views)

Oh i dint know that. Ok yes that helps. thank you! 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,501 Views)

Based on this knowledge base article from Microsoft, NTFS volumes should permit having files that differs only in case, but a serious limitation is that win32 applications cannot correctly access them: MS mentions Notepad as an example, I suppose this is valid for CVI programs too if developed in 32-bit mode.

A very basic attempt with this code resulted in a single file with lowercase name as the first one created but with the second text in it:

#include <formatio.h>
static int		fH;

fH = OpenFile ("c:\\temp\\test1.txt", VAL_WRITE_ONLY, VAL_TRUNCATE, VAL_ASCII);
WriteFile (fH, "One line of text\n", 18);
CloseFile (fH);

fH = OpenFile ("c:\\temp\\Test1.TXT", VAL_WRITE_ONLY, VAL_TRUNCATE, VAL_ASCII);
WriteFile (fH, "Another line of text\n", 22);
CloseFile (fH);

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(4,500 Views)

This is because NTFS is sort of special, in principle it is case sensitive but one cannot create files differeing only in case. Wikipedia

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,495 Views)

Cannot create, cannot copy, cannot move, cannot rename... I wonder if having two files differing in case is practically possible!

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(4,487 Views)