LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FATAL RUN-TIME ERROR: The program has caused a 'General Protection' fault at 0x6846680A.

Dear all,

I have some troubles with LabWindows CVI. Sometimes (maybe 2 or 3 times by week) my application crash with General protection error in cvirte adress. This crash never happens in the same part of the code is always happens in random way. The problem is that in debug mode we don't have any information about where the problem occurs in cvirte. This bugs can happens with differents application from very simple application to very complex applications.

Do you have some ideas that how can I solve these problems?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(9,030 Views)

Hello, j.romero!

The background of the crash that you described is very vague. It would be very helpful if you would provide more insight information on this crash:

• The CVI version you are using (e.g. CVI 2013 SP1).
  • The context of the application. Providing the actual compilable source code would also help.
  • Any other settings and details that are needed (e.g. environment settings, build options, special run steps, etc.)

Regards!

- Johannes

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(9,013 Views)

Additionally, I suppose the exact version of the run-time engine in use can be useful (e.g. 13.0.1.201): it may be found in MAX if you have it installed or by viewing the properties of cvirte.dll (on my system it is installe in c:\windows\syswow64).

Knewing whether you are using other tools in your applications could be useful too (e.g. DAQmx).

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(9,008 Views)

Thanks for your reply,

Here below some additional informations:

CVI version: CVI 2013 SP1

cvirte dll: 13.0.1.201

About the context: Is an application that collect measurements from serial link from many instruments. This applcation communicate also with database for configuration and settings for each instrument. The software  have many dynamic memory management and collect big amount of data. It use also multithreading, displaying functions.

Sorry for the source code is too big it's impossible to post it here.

Build otpions

Default calling convention _cdecl

Maximum stack size 1048576

Stack allocation 4096

Image base adress 0x00400000

Profiling Disabled.

The problem appears also in old version of CVI 2012 for example.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(8,997 Views)
  1. Can you specify the names of CVI Run-Time functions and the perhaps the code context in which you are using these functions?
  2. Since your application is heavily using dynamic memory management, is there a memory data corruption that occurs due to invalid data passed onto these run-time functions? Have you tried debugging the issue by setting the Options » Build Options » Debugging Options » Debugging level to Extended?

Regards!

- Johannes

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(8,994 Views)

Ok,

I will collecte the names of functions the next time taht will appears.

Yes in debug options I have selected extended options, and no memory lacks appears.

BR

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(8,988 Views)

Hello again, j.romero!

I would like to ask you if you had any luck trying to narrow the issue down on some specific patterns or CVI Run-Time functions?

However, it would be very helpful if you would be able to send us your application, so that we can build and try to reproduce the issue on our side. Moreover, since your application is very large, you could strip down parts of the application, so that we are able to better isolate the problem.

You can upload the project files at the following FTP location: ftp://ftp.ni.com/incoming

Best regards!

- Johannes

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(8,952 Views)

Hello,

Sorry for my answer many weeks after the post. We investigate a little more with ni france and I activate ConfigCVILogging.exe tool. Now also I use LabWindows CVI 2013 SP2 but the problem remains and It happens 6 times in one week!! but never doing the same action (sometimes at the startup, sometimes many hours after the startup, sometimes clicking a button, etc..).

If we put the project in the incoming folder you will not be able to run the application because we use serial proprietary protocol to communicate with our devices.

So I send here all the information for 6 erros that we collect the last week.

Thanks for your comments or ideas.

J. ROMERO

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(8,348 Views)

Hello J. Romero!

Thank you for the crash information you provided!

Hover you managed to collaborate with NI France more in order to determine the cause of this crash?

Unfortunately, the information you provided is still not sufficient for us to determine the exact cause and circumstance of this crash:

1. The provided event logs only contain relative addresses of the locations. An absolute crash address can better suggest the exact location. Please provide a screenshot of the crash window dialog, which contains the exact absolute address of this crash.
  2. In your original post, you mentioned that you can reproduce the crash with a "very simple application". Is it possible for you to send us the application on our incoming FTP server, so that we can build and run the program on our side?
  3. Do you have a suspicion for any particular libraries, components or UI controls that you are using, which reproduce the crash. E.g. "whenever I perform this action in a Numeric Control, the crash occurs...". This will further help us to narrow down on the problem!
  4. If #2 is not possible, one other solution would be to send us a crash dump of the application. Please follow the steps in this Developer Community post, in order to generate and send us a crash dump: https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-1496

Best regards!

- Johannes

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(8,035 Views)

Dear Johannes,

Thanks for your reply. I put the application inf ftp incoming folder named "Tables". I also transfer all the print screens and files to NI france that transfer this to NI US.

Hope that will help to fix the problems.

Best regards

José

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(8,027 Views)