From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exception information

Hello,

I'm having problem with my application. it crashes during execution(Once a month).

the last time that it happened i did the snapshot of the error.

Could it be a problem related to the null pointers..?

Could i discover the code line where the error occurs...?

It would be great if someone could help me.

Thanks.

error.PNG

error1.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,487 Views)

Hello, Jimmy!

1. Please let us know the exact version of LabWindows/CVI and CVI Run-Time you are using (e.g. CVI 2013 SP2).
  2. Have you tried debugging the application yourself, in LabWindows/CVI? This is the best way you could find exact information about what data that is passed to functions might be incorrect or corrupted.
  3. Have you managed to reproduce the error inside the CVI Run-Time Engine (e.g. cvirte.dll)?
  4. Try also running the application in Debug configuration. This way, there's a higher probability, that run time errors will be catched by the CVI Run-Time checks.

Best regards!

- Johannes

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,461 Views)

Hello Johannes,

Thanks for reply.

I'm using CVI 2012 SP1.

i have checked every single line of code of my application. In fact it never gives me any error during debug procedure. It happens when the application is loaded on our client's machine and only once a month.

what do you mean by reproducing the error inside the cvi run-time engine?
Could it be related to the ntdll.dll? the last time that the problem occurs there was a reference to ntdll.dll.

As you advised me now i'm running the debug version of the application on our client's machine.

Best Regards,

Jimmy

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,454 Views)
By reproducing the error in the CVI Run-Time Engine, I was referring to getting the exception earlier, somewhere in the cvirte.dll. In information would be very useful to trace the problem down from the CVI RTE, and determine whether the exception is actually caused by a bug in the Run-Time Engine. Usually, an exception happening in ntdll.dll can occur due to corrupted or invalid data in the CVI application or the CVI Run-Time Engine. And the error might not be triggered in the CVI layer, due to release optimizations or the lack of run time checking that is performed inside debug builds. You might also want to enable the following checks for your debug build of your application (Build Options dialog): 1. Set Debugging Level to 'Extended'. 2. Check 'Detect uninitialized local variables at run time'. 3. Enabling some more compiler warnings. - Johannes
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,446 Views)