LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error: This installer requires Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or later

I recently updated LabWindows/CVI.  I thought it was just the license manager, but .NET and Visual C++ 2015 runtime files were also modified.

I rebuilt one of my programs, creating a distribution kit.  Now when I try to run the installer on Windows XP I get the following error: "This installer requires Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or later".

My development computer is Win7 with LabWindows/CVI 2013 ver. 13.0.0 (647).  My target is a WinXP machine.

What is the fix or workaround for this problem?

TIA.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(13,169 Views)

Just a guess (maybe better than nothing Smiley Wink): did you install the run-time of CVI2015? You can check the version of cvirte.dll to find out. This might explain your findings since CVI2015 does not support XP anymore

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(13,154 Views)

Your mentioning of .net and C++ runtimes makes me think: are you using them in your application? In this case, are you sure these releases can be installed on XP?

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(13,152 Views)
I'm using version 2013, SP1, which is "supposed" to be compatible with WinXP. To the best of my knowledge I'm not using .NET or Visual C++ 2015 runtime in my program. How can I tell? Is that something I have to do explicitly? I tried editing the distribution kit setting under Build->Distributions->Edit ...->Drivers & Components. I've always just used the NI LabWindows/CVI Shared Run-Time Engine. This time I expanded it and unchecked .NET Support and ActiveX Container Support. Everything else was checked. There is not a checkbox for Visual C++ 2015 Runtime or Redistributable, but there are checkboxes for Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable/Runtime and 2010 Redistributable. I left those checked since they've always been checked before. Made the distribution kit and tried to install on WinXP - same error. Tried again, this time unchecking the Visual C++ redistributales and runtime. Same error. Any more suggestions?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(13,135 Views)

Wolfgang raised a good point in my opinion: some installation or update could have installed CVI2015 RTE: you can check which version is installed in Control Panel or in MAX or by issuing a GetCVIVersion () command within CVI.

In case a different runtime engine is installed that cannot be ported to XP, you should build your executable binding it to CVI2013 run-time and include it in the distribution: see this page for help

(13,132 Views)
I went to Build->Target Settings and changed the Run-time engine binding to 2013 side-by-side for entire application. Next I went Build->Distributions->Edit...->Drivers & Components and checked NI LabWindows/CVI Side-By_Side Run-Time Engine 2013 Patch 1. That's the only thing checked. There is no 2015 RTE option. Same error again. I checked for installed items at Control Panel->Programs and Features->National Instruments Software. The latest RTE listed is 2013 Patch 1. Strangely enough, the Installed On date listed in the Programs and Features window shows 7/5/2016, which is the date I installed the critical updates. Unfortunately the National Instruments Software windows does not have dates associated with the components.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(13,128 Views)

I am not sure this is a reliable way to search for the RTE version, in my opinion it is better to search for the file cvirte.dll, then select Properties / Details.

Alternatively, as Roberto suggested, use the GetCVIVersion () command within CVI.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(13,124 Views)

The command GetCVIVersion returns 1300, and GetCVIVersionYear gives me 2013.  The version of cvirte.dll in C:\Windows\System32 shows LabWindows/CVI 2013 for Product Name and 13.0.0.647 for the Product Version.  The one under \Windows\SysWOW64 says the same thing.  I can't find anything related to CVI 2015.

I also tried creating a debug version, but had the same error message.

Either I wrote down the error message wrong, or it has changed.  Now it says "installation" rather than "installer".  Could be a goof on my part.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(13,121 Views)

So it seems that my guess was wrong...Unfortunately I have no other idea...

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(13,106 Views)

Neither I have Smiley Sad

I wonder if it's just the WIndows Installer that is targeted to WIn7. Even if it were true, I wouldn't know what to suggest you to avoid this problem. Let's see if some NI folk has any idea...

(13,098 Views)