From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Encountered an improper argument

While installing LabWindows CVI SP1, NI-488.2.3.1.1, NI-DAQmx 9.6.2, NI-VISA 5.3, PXI Platform Services 3.2.2, NI Systems Configuration 5.4 and NI-Serial 3.9.1 I get the following error when autorun executes "Encountered an improper argument".

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(9,125 Views)

Fixed problem by re-running the setup applications.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(9,114 Views)

I've had that same exact problem and tried to re-download and install multiple times. What do you mean you "fixed by re-running the setup applications."???

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(8,842 Views)

Hi jsd86, 

I think what he is talking about is the setup.exe that is with the installer.  If you could post a new thread since this one is older, that will get more traffic than posting on an older forum since it will post on the front page of the forums.  I recommend to do this on any new issues even if there is an older forum, just link the older thread for reference in your new thread.

Peter T
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(8,819 Views)

I have seen this issue on the discussion forum, but no solution. How do I find an answer to this dead end? After unzip, I get a box titled autorun, the message is "encountered an improper argument." When I click ok, a box appeare that has a list of Button 1...button 5. I click on that box, it disappears, and I still have no idea how to get to the software that I paid for. aggravating. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(8,683 Views)

victoria696969, 

Have you tried re-running the setup.exe?  This problem is usually resolved in our service request by this.  Does CVI show up under programs in National Instruments directory of your Uninstall/Repair a Program on your control panel?  If so, uninstall it and then reinstall the application.  If this problem is still persisting you will want to try a force reinstall of our software.  Here are instructions:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/ADD22E807D5A12AD862579EC00760F79?OpenDocument

If this problem is still persisting after doing these steps please call 1-866-275-6964 and create a service request to get your software up and running.

Peter T
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(8,650 Views)

NI has reproduced this issue and found one possible cause. This behaviour can occur if you have a particular registry key present on your system. The NI autorun.exe application uses Windows APIs to read configuration information from autorun.inf located in the same folder as autorun.exe. When the particular registry key is on the system, it causes the Windows APIs to read from an autorun.inf file in a folder pointed to by the registry key(s) instead of from the autorun.inf in the folder with autorun.exe.

To see if this is the cause of your issue, check for the presence of either or both of the following registry keys (case doesn't matter):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\autorun.inf
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\autorun.inf

You can work around this error by not running the autorun at all. Instead, run the appropriate setup.exe directly.

Alternatively, you can modify your registry to remove or rename the offending registry keys, either permanently or temporarily. If you choose this alternative, please read the following Microsoft KB to understand the risks and proper processes for modifying your registry: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/136393.

We plan to modify the NI autorun to avoid this issue in future versions of NI software.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(8,173 Views)

Just extraxt all the files in "C"; and then run again the Autorun

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(6,757 Views)