LabWindows/CVI

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does LabWindows/CVI support C++?

Hi there,

I have been using labview for long time and we are looking for another way to improve the performance and labwindows/CVI seems to be a good choice. But here I got few questions

1) Does it support C++ also?

2) Could I compile the LabWindows/CVI applicaiton as a standalone program using in other computer without labview installed?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(5,126 Views)

Rapid answers:

1. No: CVI is a ANSI C compiler, it does not support C++ coding. Under some conditions, you can use C++ DLLs in your CVI program
  2. CVI can create executable out of your project that can be run in other computers provided you install the Run-time Engine and other required tools on them. CVI offers the ability to create installers ("Distribution") that can be run on separate computers to install all necessary software on them together with your application.. See Creating Executables in LabWindows/CVI and Distribution Overview and related arguments in the help

Proud to use LW/CVI from 3.1 on.

My contributions to the Developer Community
(5,123 Views)

@RobertoBozzolo wrote:

Rapid answers:

1. No: CVI is a ANSI C compiler, it does not support C++ coding. Under some conditions, you can use C++ DLLs in your CVI program
  2. CVI can create executable out of your project that can be run in other computers provided you install the Run-time Engine and other required tools on them. CVI offers the ability to create installers ("Distribution") that can be run on separate computers to install all necessary software on them together with your application.. See Creating Executables in LabWindows/CVI and Distribution Overview and related arguments in the help

Hi RobertoBozzolo,

Thanks for the suggestion. I developed a simple project in my computer (win8 64bit) with labview 2012 installed and I am trying to compile it as 32-bit executable. I copied that executable to the computer with labview 7.1 installed (xp 32bit). It doesn't work. So I create an installation package and get it installed in the xp computer, this time it works. But I have one question. In the computer with LV7.1 installed, there used traditional DAQ and old version LabWindows/CVI, so will it change the original configuration or drivers or anything of the destination computer if I install the CVI installation package developed in other computer with higher version and latest DAQ driver?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(5,098 Views)

By the way, what happen if the destination computer installing the distirbution package is using traditional DAQ but the CVI is using DAQmx. Do I have to reset the driver somewhere to make it work between labview and CVI executable?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(5,091 Views)

Hi dragondriver,

are you using CVI or LabVIEW??!? 'Cause here we are on the CVI board Smiley Wink

Anyway, whichever is the system you are developing on the Run-time Engine must match the requirements for the executable. As per CVI, the runtime must be of the same level or higher that this. That is why you cannot run a CVI2012 executable with a CVI7 IDE or runtime installed, while it is safe to so the opposite. I do not know the state of the art with LV: in the past the release of the development system and that of the runtime needed to match exactly (infact you could have several LV runtime installed on the same system).

You cannot expect of course that a CVI executable can run on a system with the LV runtime installed (and vice versa)!

With reference to your last question, Traditional DAQ and DAQmx are completely different products, so installing one of them does not affect the other. Additionalle, you cannot mix commands from both environments in the same application: either you develop using old Traditional DAQ functions or you move entirely to the new DAQmx. You can have both of them installed on the target system.

(5,085 Views)

@RobertoBozzolo wrote:

Hi dragondriver,

are you using CVI or LabVIEW??!? 'Cause here we are on the CVI board Smiley Wink

Anyway, whichever is the system you are developing on the Run-time Engine must match the requirements for the executable. As per CVI, the runtime must be of the same level or higher that this. That is why you cannot run a CVI2012 executable with a CVI7 IDE or runtime installed, while it is safe to so the opposite. I do not know the state of the art with LV: in the past the release of the development system and that of the runtime needed to match exactly (infact you could have several LV runtime installed on the same system).

You cannot expect of course that a CVI executable can run on a system with the LV runtime installed (and vice versa)!

With reference to your last question, Traditional DAQ and DAQmx are completely different products, so installing one of them does not affect the other. Additionalle, you cannot mix commands from both environments in the same application: either you develop using old Traditional DAQ functions or you move entirely to the new DAQmx. You can have both of them installed on the target system.

Thanks for the reply. I still a bit confusing on the labview and CVI. I am using labview for long time but I am switching to CVI. My only concern is if I install the runtime and related stuffs fro CVI2012 in a computer have labview 7 installed. Will that runtime or other stuffs affect the current labview 7 code or driver? Since I am working in a lab someone using LV

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(5,075 Views)

You can be comfortable with that: CVI and LabVIEW do not affect each other. You will notice no effect installing CVI runtime on your system with LabVIEW IDE too.

(5,066 Views)

@RobertoBozzolo wrote:

You can be comfortable with that: CVI and LabVIEW do not affect each other. You will notice no effect installing CVI runtime on your system with LabVIEW IDE too.

I really appreciate that 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(5,063 Views)